The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If you and the horse are just not suited to each other, it becomes a waste of time and takes a hell of a lot of energy to just *make it work* because you'd feel really guilty selling the horse or feel bonded to the horse (and hey, most of us do... I cried when I sold Angie) in spite of your issues with it. There probably is a rider out there who is more suited to that horse and a horse out there more suited to you. That said, I'm not impressed by people who own a horse for a short period of time, decide it's not working, and sell the horse nae bother. I guess there is a line. But I feel that if you've given it your best shot and still feel it's not the horse for you, in spite of all your love and training and dedication, then it's best to find one that is and find your horse an owner who will really enjoy its talents.

It's like being in a relationship that isn't working for you. Except the horse probably won't mind being sold as much as the person on the receiving end of a break-up minds being broken up with.

As for the "horsenality" thing... I don't like labels which pigeonhole people or horses into boxes. It's often counterproductive.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
See I know id be happy with a more extroverted ... want to work type horse.. which chance isnt but she will do it.

But shes been there for 2 years and I feel like shes giving me everything she has.

·
Registered
947 Posts
These are what they mean.

Extroverted horses tend to:

• have high energy
  • have more “go”
  • be quick
  • have a tendency to run
The Introverted horse exhibits these qualities:

• low energy
  • more “whoa”
  • slow
  • has a tendency to stop
Right-Brain horses tend to be:

• submissive
  • fearful
  • not confident
  • nervous
  • reactive
The Left-Brain horse tends to be:

• dominant
  • brave
  • confident
  • calm
  • tolerant
And later on in the DVD it goes on to how to use the horses, horseanality, to your advantage and the training techniques that will benefit that horse in the long run.
That is very interesting, I can definitely see my horse being a left brained horse. As for the introvert/extrovert bit she is definitely Bi-polar. On any given day she exhibits both sets of traits. Infact just a fortnight or so ago she exhibited a whole new side of herself that I would catagorize as NBI - No Brain Idiot.

Now the horse that I had before Phoenix would have to be classed as Schizophrenic using that yardstick. He was confident, cocky, nervous, scared, brazen, timid, pushy all depending on his environment and how he felt on any given day.

I think I will steer clear of trying to label horses, I think there are too many variables to make a judgement like that.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If you are happy with how things are going with the mare, then that's cool. But you have a lot of threads on this forum saying this or that or the other thing isn't working. Now I don't know you or the mare. Maybe she just needs more time and training (they do -- believe me, in the first three-ish years I owned Gypsum I got well cheesed off at her and threatened to sell her on numerous occasions, but once I stopped being such a tool about certain things our relationship improved immensely and really, those weren't serious threats in the first place). Or maybe she just isn't the right horse for you. That's something you have to figure out for yourself. Just work out why you would keep the horse, or sell her, and whatever you do, do it for the right reasons. I wouldn't keep a horse just because I loved it or felt guilty about sending into the scary world of a new owner. Sometimes if you love something, the best thing you can do is let it go. A horse that might be driving you nuts could make someone else very happy. And yes, there are a lot eejits out there, but there are a lot of lovely, caring horse owners as well.

For me, a horse isn't just a nice pet for companionship, like a cat or a dog or a guinea pig, but more of a partner with whom a working relationship is of utmost importance. If that ain't working, then maybe I need to consider looking for a new partner for equestrian pursuits. That sounds harsher than I mean it -- I don't mean it like a horse is something disposable. It means that the horse is MORE

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Well its just been a bad week and just in a venting/posting mood. Its been a while since I've felt like this with her.

Shes only 6 and only been undersaddle since I've had her [4] So shes still has lots more to go on her training.

Its still on the edge.
But im leading towards just keep working with her and play around with every displine

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
It's not labeling horses, it's reading what your horse is showing you AT THAT MOMENT...if he's being LBE then you know what to do about it....if he's being RBI you know what to do about it....it's not good to say "My horse IS a ____" it's proper to say "My horse is mostly ____." ANY horse can show ANY of the horsenalities, some horse's RB instincts are closer to the surface than others. Some horses, like my warmblood USED to be before I helped him become more 'balanced,' show each of the horsenalities IN ONE SESSION! lol. These are the more extreme and very challenging horses.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know its always said that parelli works for all horses.. just not all people.. My horse has proved that wrong. lol I loved the program.. Chance didnt.
It does work for every horse, just not every person. You just said yourself, Chance was an LBI...LBIs need motivation, talking with a friend, there was no motivation other than "doing it right" or "you'd make me happy". OF COURSE she won't like it! Left Brain Introvets need motivation. What's in it for them? Why should they?
If you are not properly motivating and being boring by doing the patterns (quote from you "there is only so much you can do with follow the rail"...that in itself sums up why Chance "hates" the program) over and over and over again of course she'll hate "it" but "it" isn't the program...it's the rider not being creative or not recognizing the stratagy guide for the horsenality.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I know how to motivate Chance.

Obviously im doing something right I had her doing walk to canter transitions today. The day before going over 2'6..... asking to jump..

Its my fault with the patterns Ill admit that because I couldnt stand them. I had no creativity when it came to them I got brain blocked or w.e

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's still labeling. Those sorts of descriptions, regardless of how fluid they are, might be useful heuristics that could help some people (not everyone) with their horses (not every horse). But it's still one dude's paradigm of horse behaviour that does not have the validity or reliability of a scientific theory. I wouldn't treat it as such. In fairness I've studied how things like IQ tests and personality tests for people have been developed and they are often incredibly arbitrary, reflecting cultural constructs of intelligence and personality as well as the presuppositions of the people who created the tests. A lot of these tests have a lot more research supporting their validity than the horsenality thing, are a lot more widely used, and I'm nevertheless very sceptical of them for the above reasons. They are very much products of their historical and social circumstances. I'm even more sceptical of the horsenalities, as it doesn't even have slightly questionable research backing it. It is even more difficult to show its validity and reliability. You have the owner of the horse assessing it through his or her own presuppositions and constructs and the applying a fuzzy label accordingly. You can't even make the argument that the owner did x because she owns an LBE horse, the horse responded positively, so therefore x must work on LBE horses. Maybe the horse would have responded positively anyway. Maybe it was just because the owner did something different or thought that because she was treating her horse in a certain way, the training was going to go better. We all know horses respond to a positive attitude. How many times has the dodgy trailer loader just walked into the trailer because it was being led by someone who calmly and quietly assumed it was going to walk into the trailer?

I'm just sayin'.... never stop being sceptical, or asking questions. And no one trainer has all the answers.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Instead of worrying about whether or not Pookie is LBI, LBE, RBI or MVP, take the darned thing to a real trainer instead of trying to teach it by videos and books.
But don't you know that real trainers are meanies and they don't bond with thier horses. They don't play games and give them treats and just hang out in thier stall with them.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Comments like that just show how little one knows about Parelli, or about real NH in general.
I'm not trying to learn about NH or Parelli, I try to learn about horses and horsemanship. The more I hear about Parelli the more I think studying under him would be a great education in marketing and propaganda. I would think that never in the history of horses has a group of followers been so proud to know so little. Everybody recognizes that there are different types of horses and they need to be handled differently but PP has managed to package and sell it. Just like the hill therapy BS that was discussed on another thread. HE is a great horseman but an unbelievably succesful salesman. He has targeted a demographic and exploited them to the max. As much as I admire his horsemanship it's the selling that I would like to learn.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Comments like that just show how little one knows about Parelli, or about real NH in general.
Except it describes exactly how former boarders that followed Parelli acted around their horses.

In fact those individuals left my barn and are no longer friends. One was convinced that PP was the ONLY way to do things and the other saw there were indeed other avenues that better suited her horse.

The PP person was looking for another barn 2 months after she left mine. It cannot be all or nothing. There has to be give and take.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.