The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of selling my horse in the near future, and wanted some expert opinion on how much a few people think my horse would be worth if I sold her. I understand the market is not great right now, but would like if people didn't put that into complete consideration when helping me decide on a price. I will post as much info that comes to the top of my head right now, but will probably forget a few things so just let me know if there is something else you need to know to determine a reasonable price!

Merya is a green broke 6 year old registered APHA mare. She is sorrel with one white marking on her side, I believe there is a picture on my page. She has been to 4-H shows and shown in hand trail and showmanship as well as attended a three day horse camp in the mountains. She has been on multiple trails and does great. Merya has also been in a couple of parades. Merya is bred for western pleasure and has great build and bloodlines. She has great ground manners and longes well. In the saddle she can side pass well but just needs it to be cleaned up so it looks a bit nicer, she backs up, walks, trots with her head tucked, a lopes. Her issue with loping is that she hasn't been able to pick up her right lead, but we are working on it!! Merya is not spooky and is a healthy horse.

If there is anything else you need to know just post a question and I will answer it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forget to mention, she is 15.1 hands. She also has a partial blue eye. She responds to leg pressure and neck reins. Stands well for the farrier and loads great into a trailer and backs out (if thats what you prefer)

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Does she tie, bathe and clip well? If you had to rate her on a "hotness scale" of 1-10, 1 being a complete dead head and 10 being hot, where would she fall? Have you done any gymkhana type events with her? Will she cross water, bridges, open gates out on trail? If a bird flies at her or she sees a deer or other wild animal, what will she do? How is she out alone on the trail and alone in an arena?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does she tie, bathe and clip well? If you had to rate her on a "hotness scale" of 1-10, 1 being a complete dead head and 10 being hot, where would she fall? Have you done any gymkhana type events with her? Will she cross water, bridges, open gates out on trail? If a bird flies at her or she sees a deer or other wild animal, what will she do? How is she out alone on the trail and alone in an arena?
Great questions. She ties and bathes, I don't think she has been clipped before. She't not hot, actually a little lazy but can be willing and learns quickly. No gymkhana events, she is also ridden western. She has been through a pond before and can cross water, although she will jump a bit if the stream is very narrow. I am working with her now with opening gates. She is not scared of other animals or traffic as she is around them all the time. Our arena is right next to a road, so even a semi doesn't spook her. She has been around cows and is very alert but they don't seem to scare her. If she does spook at something, the worst thing she does is look at it and snort, she doesnt buck, kick, rear or bite. I haven't taken her alone on a trail but she has ridden on the roads before and is fine. She is not herd or barn sour and can ride alone or with a large group in the arena wonderfully.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I'm thinking 1500 would be the top price on her...

My main reasoning is because she is still considered green broke at 6 years old. And dor a paint, she doesn't have a lot of white on her. (which when people think of paints, they think color) Is that superficial? Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking 1500 would be the top price on her...

My main reasoning is because she is still considered green broke at 6 years old. And dor a paint, she doesn't have a lot of white on her. (which when people think of paints, they think color) Is that superficial? Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was thinking she would be worth around $1,500 to $2,000. So your comment clarifies. And yes she was started late due to an injury to the person that started her, the person couldn't ride for a few months and unfortunately that was right at the time when Merya needed to be started. I also was not able to train her over the past 10 months due to being at school, but she is being ridden now and is doing great so far. And yes she has hardly any white! But personally thats what I love about her, I don't believe that price should be based on how much white she has because there may be someone like me that loves the little spot on her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really hard to give you an estimate without pictures or videos, but I'd say she could be worth anywhere from $800 to $2500 depending on her bloodlines, conformation, eye appeal, and specific training level.
Thank you! She's worth more than $1,000 seeing as that's what I bought her for over a year ago. She has come a long way since I bought her so I am certain she's worth more than that. (Although with the economy I understand this could be wrong) But I agree that probably not more than $2,500. She has good bloodlines and is bred for western pleasure, with a little more training I believe she could do wonderfully in the show ring. She also has a great build and conformation, although she is a bit long backed. Unfortunately I have no way of posting videos, and I know that the one picture I have of her isn't big but it does show a little of what she looks likes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It depends on your area. When I'm selling a horse I look at what's available in our area first. In some places the economy has hit people a lot harder than others. So I check online to see what others in the area are asking for horses with similar experience. Then I add a little bit on the price because I only have gorgeous horses ;) Shallow? Yes, but it's what I like and what a lot of other people like and are willing to pay for. Price also depends on how fast you need the horse sold.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You say she's got great bloodlines, but you never actually mention what those are.

And yes, a good confo shot or two and video of her moving (preferably under saddle), will do a lot to help us give you a figure.

But yeah, area has a lot to do with it. In some parts of the country a certain horse could go for twice what it would go in other parts.
You will definitely have much better luck selling her, I'd think, if you include good pictures and video in the sales ad. I'd assume many people are like me and probably won't even look at an ad if it doesn't have some good pictures, at the very least ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Because, for her breed, she is a little old to still be green, and still has some basics to learn, her price will decline. However, it does sound like she is very quiet and "kid-safe," which is a big plus. I would ask $2500 and mark it as negotiable.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Depending on how badly and how soon I want to sell a horse, I price it accordingly. So, for a horse like yours that I was enjoying riding and in no rush to sell, I'd keep working on her and get her show ring ready and stick a price tag of say, $4500 obo or firm, depending on how you feel about her. I took a year to sell a gorgeous gelding who was dead green when I got him but utterly sensible. I was in no hurry to get rid of him so I stuck him on my web page at $5000 firm and waited for the right buyer. In the meantime, we did trails 3 or 4 times/week, rode in a Christmas parade, St Paddy's day parade, 4th of July Parade and tried mounted shooting, all of which he was amazing and calm at. When the right buyer came along, there was no arguing, $5K was handed over so quick and they still write me and send me pics of their little girl on her horse. He takes amazing care of her.

If I needed to move her, then $2500 obo or less and move her out quick, she's going to be a nice horse for someone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, those are awesome tips. I hate to sell her :( She was my first horse and we have come a long way. The only reason it has passed my mind is because I am in school hours away from where she is kept and I feel it's unfair for a horse with so much potential to just sit and not be worked with for five more years. But I am not in a hurry to sell her. I will probably post her at a firm price and wait until someone comes along that I know will love her as much as I do.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
The only reason it has passed my mind is because I am in school hours away from where she is kept and I feel it's unfair for a horse with so much potential to just sit and not be worked with for five more years. But I am not in a hurry to sell her.
Unfair for her owners maybe, but I promise you she won't complain if she gets a hiatus out to grass for a few years while you're in school. If you want to keep her in your life and see her when you can, why not offer someone a free lease, where they ride and look after her in exchange for paying the mare's farrier/board/feed expenses?

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
The mare doesn't care if she's living up to her potential. Being out on grass is just fine with her. She might miss you some, but if you go visit when you can and love on her lots while you're there, she'll be very happy to wait for you. But, if you feel you won't be able to care for her when your in school or right after you get out, then find her another person who will love her as much as you do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.