The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to see how much people payed for their horse.

Also if you could post why you paid that much, like what does your horse/pony do? Ex : hunter,dressage.

Hahaha, yeaaaah.

I paid $1250 for Jack. He can't do anything special, and im probably about to sell him anyway.

Back to the point, post!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I paid $2000 for Skeeter (yes I know my profile name is spelt wrong..and i feel really stupid about it LOL)
He Is a 16.1 had throughbred. Had been trained as a 2 year old to race.. but was wayyyy to slow. He pretty much was just in a field untill I bought him at 6.
I bought him to do hunters/jumpers, he is also really nice on the flat

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
We bought rena for 20,000-25,000, shes a dressage horse, honoverian/throughbred

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Being that I do not normally by my prospects it is more of mute point.

However this is one that I got as a 2yo.
Although I will not say what I paid I will post her pedigree and as you can see she was not cheap. Which did not include any training.

With Thanks Quarter Horse

Also keep in mind that this mare has paid for her self already. Good mares will more then pay for them selves over time.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I paid $40,000,000.00 for my horse. I had to sell a kidney and liver to afford that on the black market, but it was all worth it. I might sell an ovary? Maybe?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
ridergirl- o_O Can't imagine paying that much! Wow! But Rena is absolutely stunning :) and extremely talented from what I understand. FEI Juniors, right?

MIEventer- you must have some deep pockets. And who needs an extra kidney anyway? (Actually I do...mine are diseased :S)

Anyway,

Ginisee 18 yr old OTTB- $1,000. She was 10 at the time and honestly wayyyy overpriced for her experience and condition. But I do not regret it at all. Best horse I have ever owned

Uma 7 yr old 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire (AWB)- free. She was a trade from my first horse to her when she was a 10 month old. So glad I traded! Even though I loved my old horse :D

Demi 7 yr old TB- free. She was a give-away on another forum. Greatest give-away ever!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I bought Scout for $500 with free tack last spring. He's an 8 year old pony cross, saddle-broke but not much more at the time. He needed a lot of TLC, and some "fetchin' up" in the training department, but he's a real sweetie and very willing to please, and has a tremendous work ethic. Conformationally, he's nothing really special, and he has his faults, but he does get lots of compliments for being cute! He's learning to be a good all around trail/pleasure horse with some concentration in classical dressage.Yeah... we'll see where we land there. :lol:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I didn't pay anything. Oakey was a gift from a hay customer. I'll have to post the story some time. :)
Sorry to double post, but... DO TELL! :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My current horse was originally selling for $40,000. My family talked them down and we bought him for $38,000. He does dressage and some jumping. Bought him as a 4yo 16.3 SWB gelding, now he is 5yo and 17+h.

My first horse was originally selling for $35,000 and we talked it down to $32,000. He was an eventing horse, but I don't event so I did dressage and jumping with him. Bought him as an 8yo KWPN DWB 16.1 gelding, when he died he was 10yo.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I bought Hershey for $6,000. He had been off the track for a year and a half and had been retrained for about three months, could jump small cross rails and was getting more under control on the flat. In todays market I could get a horse like him for much cheaper, but this was before the resession.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We got Alibi cheap at 2,800 since the hay prices were bad. He was originally 14,000 I say what a good deal. =]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Havana was $500. Waay overpriced. She should have been free...(she was abused/neglected) Bought her from the abuser himself :/ She doesn't do anything, but I think she's trained to ride (don't know how well coming from there) She's 1/2 QH 1/2 Paint. But I just usually say Paint :p
Shelly...well I don't know. We've had her so long. Ever since I can remember. Probably not very much I imagine...

·
Registered
569 Posts
LOL i got the cheap ponies! romeo- $800 greenie...he had been tacked an ridden in einglish an western an had been rode bareback in the pasture but he was an idiot an didnt know a darn thing. he is now a western trail horses and has a LOT more manners lol

My second horse was free...owner thought she was crazy...she loves me lol shes a full blood arab too lol

·
Registered
892 Posts
Buzz - KWPN bay gelding, 16hh 15yo, eventer. Free.

Chrome - APHA cremello gelding, 14.3hh 7yo, western pleasure broke and shown. Free.

Buttercup - Welsh cross pony mare, 13.3hh 10yo, all-rounder, therapeutic riding pony, been to Special Olympics. Free.

I've been very fortunate to get all my horses for free. Right time, right place. All of them are completely sound (thank God) and exceptional horses.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I bought Ice for 500 dollars plus the cost of care for a month while he stayed on the property and that amounted out to about 700 dollars. It was a very nice 700 dollars, I actually expected to have to do more to him since he was an OTTB than just fatten him up and refresh his breaks.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.