The Horse Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I feel sorry for my cousins horses though, they are both kept on less than a half and acre together and don't get grain and hardly ever get exercised and have no barn or shed. Am i the only one who thinks they are in poor living conditions?:-(

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you put your horse on an acre alone it will also be in poor living conditions. I really, REALLY think you should board.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
84 Posts
I feel sorry for my cousins horses though, they are both kept on less than a half and acre together and don't get grain and hardly ever get exercised and have no barn or shed. Am i the only one who thinks they are in poor living conditions?:-(
Would you really want to turn to people who keep horses like this in an emergency?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Would you really want to turn to people who keep horses like this in an emergency?

well now that i think about it i guess not. they act like they know a lot about horses but i don't think they really do. i do have one of my best friends who owns horses. she knows a lot about horses

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think you need to discuss your budget with your parents. Then you can decide which is the best way forward for you. Could you not keep a horse with your best friend to start with?

·
Banned
1,863 Posts
I think for any first time horse owner, the BEST option is to board your horse. At least for a year. That way you know you will have somebody there if you need help or just have a curious question. If you can find a good boarding stable, full of nice, knowledgeable, horseman; I garuntee you that that year would be more valueable to you than weekly lessons or calling somebody up when you need help.

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
I just spent about $1000 fencing in a field, and that is parts and not labor. The labor was free as it was me, but it was hard work and it sucked. We did not use ideal fencing it is called wooden snow fence, but aside from barbed wire or electric it was the cheapest I could find.
My horse used to cost $350 boarded, $90 farrier and whatever vet, as it is unknown.
But he was loosing weight and the barn owner did not let them out in the field enough so now he costs:
$280 full field board with a woman I trust who does everything for him
$90 farrier, who is my next husband, he is a genius and really cheap
and who knows what for vets bills as I don't have a crystal ball
and then supplies, if he needs an extra blanket, or a new bridle, or suppliments or hoof polish or whatever.

All in all I expect to spend about $500 a month on my horse, if I don't, it is nice, but then there are times when you need to call a vet and there is never enough money. Personally if I could not afford $500 a month, and financing an emergency, I would not own a horse - but then I am 34 and childless as I don't think I can afford a child yet, whereas most other people just do it and then figure it out.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
They are expensive.

For me I pay $50 per month for my horse which includes,shelter,pasture,roundpen,tack room,etc. So I got a good deal on that.It's self care.
My horse gets her hooves trimmed about every 2 months so that is $30 every other month
I only worm my horse twice a year.Once in spring and once in fall so it would be $20 a year max on wormer for me.
Vet bills! Now thats the expensive thing. My horse coliced..I owe almost 1000 on a vet bill and I also have to give her probiotics now because of it which is $15 a month.
Food...I would say for good quality grass hay it will cost you 120 a ton.Since my horse is on pasture I give her 2 flakes of hay and her rice bran/wheat bran mixture.
Tack..you are going to need it and it ends up being very expensive also.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Some of you have really cheap full board!! Where do you live?? Ours ranges from $1000 - $1600 and dometimes as high as $2000 or even a bit over that !! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
My first horse it was exspensive.
2500 for the horse
idk for the vet check
board $350.00 a month
then we moved so it was $450.00 plus lessons farrier etc.
then we moved again it was self board so $210.00 so they can feed her but we provide the grain
then we moved back to the first barn for $350.00 a month now all were doing is paying for feed and the farrier:)
since shes at my grandpas.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Angelhorsegirl, it ranges $400-$500 here in central NC for full board at a fairly nice facility. Pasture runs from $150-$250, depending on whether they feed for you once a day or not. There are some cheaper, but IMO, you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the respective input to this thread, I'm looking around for the future myself, and costs vary so much depending on the area, but one day I would really really like to make it work at a close boarding place here.

Thanks for the info all!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think boarding would be a good option for you.

PLEASE shop around for barns first even before you start looking for a horse. Every boarding barn is different, and you really want to talk to the BO or manager first. Don't be shy to ask questions, you're the one who may be paying them to take care of your horse. Have your best friend come with you.
Ask them if they have pasture board, it's usually much cheaper than paying for a stall. Ask them what kind of hay they use, their grain, where do they get their shavings, which farrier/vet comes out there. Would it be possible if you wanted to bring your own hay or grain, or work out a boarding agreement where you're the one you comes out twice a day to feed or whatever. Ask if there's a discount if you clean your own stall. I would shy away from a barn who wouldn't allow you to bring your grain or hay. That just doesn't sit well with me...

This is how much it costs for me:
Horse cost: $1500
Board: $150/month
Yearly shots: ~$100
Teeth: $85/ once a year
Trims: $25/ every 5 weeks
Dewormer: ~$12/ every few months
MSM supplement: $15/ every 2 months or so
Grain: $42/every month

What my trick was before I actually bought a horse was I bought brushes or anything that you don't need the horse for yet. (Ex: saddles, bridles, blankets, things you need to know the size for you can't buy until you get the horse) So by the time I got the horse I had almost everything I needed.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
whitetrashwarmblood, a lot of barns don't want you to bring in your own feed and hay because it is already figured into the board cost. It is also a lot more complicated to keep everything straight if every horse in the barn gets a different feed and hay. Most will accommodate if there is a good reason, like an allergy, or a senior needed a special diet, or something along those lines, but I wouldn't expect a barn to agree to special food if it isn't needed. They can easily fill a stall with someone not so picky in most cases.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If we're talking strictly monthly maintenance, my board is $175 for pasture board which includes feed. We may consider moving him to stall board in February when a stall opens up which will be $275. Our farrier charges $25 a trim and the horse I'm buying (if he passes his vet check) currently gets trimmed every 8 weeks.

Lessons with the really excellent dressage trainer are $55 per lesson. Lessons with the western pleasure trainer are $25.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
whitetrashwarmblood, a lot of barns don't want you to bring in your own feed and hay because it is already figured into the board cost. It is also a lot more complicated to keep everything straight if every horse in the barn gets a different feed and hay. Most will accommodate if there is a good reason, like an allergy, or a senior needed a special diet, or something along those lines, but I wouldn't expect a barn to agree to special food if it isn't needed. They can easily fill a stall with someone not so picky in most cases.

I understand that, and I doubt many people would bring their own hay because I can see where that could make things more complicated. To me though, if someone brought in their own grain for their horse I don't see that as such a big deal. I do it myself, and I know many other people who do the same. I don't think that's picky. To me, picky is a want my horse fed at exactly 9am and 5pm, exactly 13 pounds of hay, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very informative thread, I was asking my friend the other day about the cost of horses it doesn't sound bad for one but anything more seems to add up pretty fast. I know if I ever get horses I would never get anymore than 2....maybe 3.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts