The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed table salt mixed in beet pulp.. Horse doesnt like salt licks. I started out at 2tbs.. but when I had my feed and supps analyzed, the salt came up as 57% or recommended. 3 tbs would be 86% of recommended nutrition and 4 tbs would be 107%.. how many tablespoons are you feeding your horses. avg wt 950 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
22,786 Posts
I feed unrefined sea salt(well, that's my table salt too) which is about 75% sodium & 25% magnesium, iodine & other minerals. Mine get it free choice loose, but don't tend to touch it, and I'm currently adding about 4 tbspns to their feed, between the 3 of them - any more & they don't want to eat it.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I feed 1 heaping tablespoon of coarse Himalayan salt, which weighs ~1 ounce, mixed into a beet pulp mash. I also have a salt lick up; my horse isn't big on licks so I don't want to rely on him licking to get all of his salt intake, but I figure if he needs more salt he does lick it a little bit. For whatever reason, my horse won't eat his mash if I put that much table salt in it, but he seems to like the Himalayan salt. Same thing with blocks- he barely touched his plain salt block in the course of two years, but does actually make a dent in the Himalayan salt one (Likit Ice).

Figures my horse would have expensive taste ;-)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I put an ounce (weight) of "trace mineral" salt in my guy's daily feed. Eg, 99.9999% salt with just enough iron oxide to make it red. It's salt and it was only $5 at TSC for a 50lb bag, so economics kicked in. He'll eat it with more, but I figure that gets him a good percentage of what he needs sodium-wise and he's got three different salt licks he ignores to choose from for the rest. I wouldn't want to give him too much, so I figure the ounce is enough to 'boost' him towards where he ought to be, close enough that the rest is up to him.

The exception is when we're doing endurance rides or conditioning- then there's two to four TBS of enduramax (salt with a little extra magnesium, potassium, and calcium) in his breakfast, in each of the one or two bucketsfuls of mash he might eat during and after the ride, and in his dinner. He's a QH working in the TN heat and humidity though, so he sweats A LOT when working hard. Can't necessarily say he 'needs' the extra salt, since he's never had any 'issues' but it makes me feel better and he does well with it, so I figure it is most likely at least causing no harm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Salt is one mineral that horses know how much they need. If it is offered, they will eat only as much as they need. Since most feeds do not contain much sodium, it must be offered. I have loose free choice salt available for my horses at all times. If they want it, they will eat it. They know where it is. However, the more salt they consume, the more water they will drink. Make sure to always have plenty of fresh, clean water available for your horses.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Salt is one mineral that horses know how much they need. If it is offered, they will eat only as much as they need.
Hi All!

This has always been my understanding. I keep salt blocks near the automatic waterers, and a couple out in the pasture; both the white and brown varieties. I haven't noticed any particular preference, but they all get used.
The domestic deer use the ones in the pasture as well. It's interesting watching them negotiate with the horses for access to the licks.
I splurged last summer, and set out one of the Himalayan Salt rocks. It got used too, but not noticeably more so than the others.

ByeBye! Steve

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
One tablespoon (one ounce) is the minimum daily requirement for one average horse with no exercise. Adjust as needed. That's really quite a lot when you have to LICK it all, and most horses don't, especially in the winter.

·
Banned
568 Posts
I put out loose salt free choice,if i put it in feed they would refuse to eat it. Free choice works fine,they drink plenty of water. A 100 gallon tank in a day an half,for 3 horses.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Salt is one mineral that horses know how much they need. If it is offered, they will eat only as much as they need. Since most feeds do not contain much sodium, it must be offered. I have loose free choice salt available for my horses at all times. If they want it, they will eat it. They know where it is. However, the more salt they consume, the more water they will drink. Make sure to always have plenty of fresh, clean water available for your horses.

Not true, other minerals can "trick" a horses body into not wanting salt such as potassium. My mare would never touch salt but feeding her salt cured her head shaking.

Horse find it difficult to lick enough salt from licks which were originally designed for cattle.

I feed up to 3 tbs in spring / summer and usually 1 during winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts