The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an online auction coming up for horses from the Pryor Mountains, including a yearling son of Cloud himself. I'm interested in buying him, but I've never bought a horse from a BLM auction before. How much would a horse like that typically bring? Also any auction tips are welcome!

:runninghorse2:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Have you ever worked with a Mustang before? They are very different than domestic horses.

The prices differ on how high they go. Some go for more because more people are interested and some don't even sell. Being a son of Cloud will make more people interested.. Make sure to do your research before buying a Mustang.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever worked with a Mustang before? They are very different than domestic horses.

The prices differ on how high they go. Some go for more because more people are interested and some don't even sell. Being a son of Cloud will make more people interested.. Make sure to do your research before buying a Mustang.
I've worked with mustangs that weren't my own, so I know the basics. I also have very experienced trainers that will help me.

I expect that he will bring a high bid, but I don't know what number is "high".

·
Registered
394 Posts
Starting bid will be $125, it's not uncommon for horses to bring $1000-2000, or even more, depending on where they are from and what color they are.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Saddlebag is correct as far as conformation goes, like any other group of horses....some are far better built than others. I will disagree on hoof issues. The mustang I own and the many I've been around uniformly have excellent feet, Mother Nature tends to weed out those faults that impact the ability to survive and hoof issues/lameness is at the top of that list!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
You've worked with already gentled mustangs I'd assume? If I were you I'd have a trainer lined up and ready to help you every step of the way. This is going to a not only a "wild" horse, but one who I interactions with humans have been NEGITAVE thus far.

Another thing you may want to look into is the specifications for housing and transport. I think the BLM requires a minimum 3 horse stock trailer with the dividers pulled out. As for housing they also require certain fence specifications and whatnot. Not something people usually have set up at the their property.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
43 Posts
You will have to be approved through the BLM before you can bid. My place was inspected before approval, but I've heard of other people who never received a visit.

I've watched a few of the Internet Auctions, and seen most go for pretty close to the base price of 125. Sometimes a couple hundred more. This year, I've only seen a couple break the $1000 price.

I would assume that the Pryor horses will go for quite a bit based on the hype and networking the Cloud Foundation has been doing. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those become very expensive.

Transportation is a second cost most people don't think about. The BLM will only ship to certain locations, and you then must either pick them up yourself or hire a transporter to do it. According to the BLM, the Pryor herd won't be transported beyond the current location, so you'd have to arrange a company or pick up yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you enroll and are approved than i would hold off on betting until a few days before the end of the auction. that way other people are not going to try and out bid you. and i commend you on your wanting to help a son of cloud. there are so many on the auction list and if he does go above your idea of price please consider one of the others.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@bellasmom I'm in the Pryors currently, and that's what they told me! It remains to be seen how high of a bid Ohanzee will bring. I wonder, too, if he's the last Cloud baby to be captured. I didn't know the only visiting day was Sat, so I'm not sure if I'll get to see him in person :/

@SlideStop Both. Admittedly, they were halter broke (but nothing more), but it was those trainers that got them that far and further, and they will help me. I'm not going in this alone; I couldn't, but everyone needs a first. Housing and transport we have taken care of.

@Persephone2015 I'm in the process of approval. No notice of an inspection yet, but that doesn't mean there won't be. Like I said above, all the transportation has been lined up if needed.

@grumpy Yep! I intend to. He only has the minimum $125 so far (since I checked this morning). I'm still "window shopping" well, more serious than that, but I'm also willing to wait until next year if I need to, too. I'd prefer a yearling, though, so that's why I'm pressing for this year. And when I go to the pens (if I can stay until Saturday), maybe I will fall in love with a different one altogether :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
They could go for $125, maybe 300, maybe 500, or a couple thousand. It depends. Also, I highly suggest you not bid on a horse just because he's the "son of Cloud"

·
Registered
174 Posts
He looks nice in the photos, beautiful head, but I personally like Mesa and Nahwa better. :)

Good luck - 12 days left, no bids, whether a horse is 125 or 1125 - does not make a huge difference over its lifetime.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ComfortablyNumb very true! It's a labor of love.

@Celeste Thanks for the links! I have transportation. My biggest concern is travel time. It takes two days.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.