The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do you pay for your horse yearly? (all expenses)
Please only post if you board. (boarding cost included)

I figured out how much it would cost me w/ all the horse expenses and board expense (if i got a horse) And it turned out to be $7,561 bucks a year (estimate) Did i do something wrong or is that normal? My barns monthly board cost is $560(includes 3 lessons a week).

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
That figure sounds right for your board, vet and farrier. You could cut costs quickly by fewer lessons. Most people only do 1 lesson a week. Pasture board would be cheaper.
I pay 385.00 in the winter for a heated stable otherwise I keep them at home

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't think that's right. Is that full board? Does that include farrier, yearly dentals, vaccinations etc? Do you have to pay for your feed?
You need to factor in to the cost of tack (saddles, bridles, saddle pads, boots).
If you intend on showing, you need a trailer or some way of transport. You need to pay for fuel, entry fees etc.
And then you also need to have extra money in case your horse needs emergency treatment and/or surgery.
If you cut corners and buy stuff on the cheap, yearly costs could be about 10,000 to 12,000. I've added up my expenses and yearly, my parents and I pay about 38,000 for 3 horses.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I live in Washington, my mare is boarded in Port Orchard witch isa ferry boat away, about 40 minutes commuting.

Board alone costs : $5,400.00 per year.

I do BI weekly lessons and on the oppisite week My trainer does a traning session with her. Both cost $40.00 a session (pr hour)

So in one month I spend $160.00 on training for both my horse and I
Times that by 12 you get $1,920.00 That is one years worth of training.

we are now up to $7320.00

Now for the ferry cost. I eaither walk on the ferry or ride my bike on to the ferry. It cost 5.00 each trip over, and free coming back home. I go over to see my horse 4 days a week. SOmtimes its in the evening cause of my college classes.
One week of commuting is $35.00
One month = $140.00
One year= $1,680.00

Now we are up to $9,000

Now my horses feet get done every 8 weeks at 35.00 each time. Only a trim so far no shoes.
so about $210.00 a year for trims.

I have omeone do my shots for me but havent done them yet this year. SO idk.

without shows, hauling off the ferry if I show on Vashon.
one year my mare costs me $9,210.00

WOW.... THANK YOU MOMMY!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way..it is full board. And the lessons come free with the board...so cant really do anything about that:)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...my estimate, isnt that bad?( to answer one of your ?'s i didnt add show bills for now, cuz i dont know how many i will do on the upcoming years)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yerr, it also depends on what kind of shows you do. Some show rings are very competitive and the right tack is essential to excel. And to excel you need trainings, lessons etc. Trailering to shows is expensive too. Entry fees can also add up. You think when you're doing 2 shows a month with $20+ entry fees, it can cost a lot.

Board prices vary too, depending on the area you're in too.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shows i do currently..are just schooling shows from the barn i ride at, until i advance more. So if i board their, there is no travel cost included+ costs arent that high for those type of shows:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Board: $1,100 x 12 = $13,200
Farrier: $300 x 9 = $2,700 (Gets shod every 6 weeks.)
Vet: $350 x 2 = $700 (That's for vaccinations and teeth floated 2x/year, it goes up if I need him for any other reason.)
Lessons: $75 x 104 = $7,200 (Two lessons per week.)
Training: $50 x 52 = $2,600 (One ride per week.)
Shows: $400 x 30 = $12,000 (It's actually probably much more than that. That includes trailering, show fees, and trainer fee.)
Miscellaneous: $200 x 12 = $2,400 (Tack, treats, gas money, etc.)

TOTAL: $40,800

Actually, a lot less than I thought it would be! I definitely think I spend more on shows because some, like the Hampton Classic and WEF and HITS, are more expensive than small ones like Hunter's Isle and Winner's Circle and North Fork and Sagaponack. Plus, I mean, how often is the vet only out twice a year? Haha, this past year we spent like $5,000 on vet bills due to Romeo's tendinitis... which is fine now, thank goodness. But it's probably more like $50,000 per year. Not bad!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this might sound rude to ask, but how do you afford that?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
this might sound rude to ask, but how do you afford that?
By working! I think I'm in about the same boat as fourtwentyam. Let's see!

Board/Horse Care
600/mo at home * 7 months at home = $4200
775/mo at trainers * 5 mos at trainers = $3900
Feed 2 bags/mo * $30/bag * 12 mos = $720
Injections (Legend and Adequan once/mo) = $1800
Four vet exams/year = $600
Teeth, coggins, worming and vaccinations = $500
Farrier 9 times/year = $900
Clipping, grooming, etc = $200

Lessons
At home, one clinic every 6 weeks for 7 months = $1400
At trainers 5 lessons/week for 5 months = $7000
Clinics and Symposiums (approx 4/year at $500 each) = $2000
Trailering fees ($400/clinic not including gas) = $3500

Showing
Approx $500/show and 4-5 shows/ year = $2250
Trailering fees = $1800
Coaching fees approx 200 a show = $900

So not including gas and miscellaneous expenses like tack and equipment our total is: $31,670 per year for one horse
Considering that our other horse doesn't go for training and goeas to fewer shows, he'd be around $20,000 per year.
Sweet that's way less than I thought lol.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant get a job..so i dont really know how much the average income is,thats why it sounded like a lot to me:)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
For this Year:

The horse which was purchased this year: $38,000

Board for two stalls (one is where he is, the other I use to store his special hay): $6,600

Board at vacation stall while I was gone: $600

Training and lessons for one year: $8,400

New tack and equipment (2 saddles, 2 bridles, new blankets etc): $12,000

Stall repair: $150

Trailering repairs and gas: $2,000

Feed, treats (not including hay which is paid for by my barn): $1,800

Medical care and appointments(including farrier, vet, dentist, massage therapist, and chiro): $5,500

Clinics and shows: $1,600

Total (I have one horse)
Including horse purchase: $76,650
Not including horse purchase: $38,650

Nothing particularly surprising honestly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I look at these board costs and it blows my mind. I had to move my horse so I could keep him and pay $250 a month to board, which is $3000 a year. I pay for half the board a month, and my parents help me with the rest.

Shoes are $75 every eight weeks, so that's about $450 a year.

I bought a trailer last year for $1200, but that saves me money now so that I can transport myself instead of paying someone to do it.

And that's only the beginning of it. I try and do it the easiest and cheapest way I can, and I work. My parents will only pay for so much, and I can only afford so much, so there you go. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.