The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 year old 12.2hh Welsh Mountain pony mare. I got her 3 years ago when I did ride her for a little bit, since we were both inexperienced then the riding didn't really work out. She is going to be sent to a trainers in March to be trained to drive. But in the meantime I was wondering if I could start riding her again? She is 650 pounds and I am 110 pounds being 5'5.

I am hoping that riding her would make her easier to train to drive, also so that she will be able to work more and loose some weight.

I have attached a picture of her with me standing beside her so you can judge better. Yes, I know she is fat, we are working on that.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Hi Gweynth. You're asking a question that may get you lots of debate of this thread. Personally, I think you are able to ride her on the assumption you are doing most, if not all, of your riding on the flat - you do not have a surplus of weight and she has a sturdy looking back and decent conformation.

P.S. You two make a sweet looking pair.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
You will be just fine. Ride your pony. Just pay attention to her attitude to make sure she isn't struggling to carry you and work her up to fitness slowly.

Again I will post this picture.

That pony is 13.2 and about 900lbs (fattypants), I am 5'9" and in that pic probably 150 with all my gear, the tack weighs 15-20lbs. She will carry me at good speeds all day long and keep up with the big horses without issue.

ETA - Is she trained to ride at all?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would say you are fine to ride her. Like others said, make sure you listen to what she is telling you, but I see no problem with you riding her.

She is a very cute pony and I love the way your hair matches her coat!

·
Registered
397 Posts
She seems to have a nice back and good bone. I would ride her if I were you, she will let you know if she's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
If we're posting pictures now for comparison, I'll join!

Kaja was probably the exact same size as your pony when this picture was taken, 650lbs and 12.3hh. (she has since gained more weight and is probably closer to 700lbs, but no taller). I am 5'7" and probably weighed 110, plus that 30lb saddle. She runs around with me all over.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the complements everyone. :) I think I will start riding her again then. Yes, she is trained to be ridden but just with pony attitude. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Generally, a horse can carry about 15-20% (this percentage differs from person to person, depending on their opinion) of its weight easily. 15% of 650 is 97.5 pounds, 20% is 130, so you're right in there. They can carry 25% (that's 162,5 pounds for your pony) for sure for short periods of time, and depending on build, strength, and muscles, some can carry more (for example, my horse has a short back so she could perhaps carry a bit more weight a bit more easily). :)

I'd say you're probably fine to ride your pony. :)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with others, you are small and your pony is stout and compact. Ride the heck out of her but always listen to what she's telling you.

And, since we're sharing pictures :wink:.

This little guy was 13.1 and weighed maybe 750...maybe. We worked days in a feedlot, spending 8+ hours a day at all 3 gaits working cattle. I even roped off of him once. He never struggled to get the job done even though I'm around 175 (135 of me and about 40 pounds of saddle).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.