The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So I have been leasing this one pony for over 2 years and I've become quite found of her. I had to take a break for classes for 8 months and so she's been sitting out in the pasture the entire time since. When I resumed riding her I decided I wanted to buy her. The problem is her price. Her owner is currently selling for $7,500, but I think that's too much. After riding her for 2+ years I know all of her flaws and pros, but I want to see what you guys think. How much would you price this pony/horse for??

Breed: POA
Sex: Mare
Height: 14.1hh
Color: Bay
Sire/Dam: Unknown bloodlines
Temperament (ground): Very Calm
Temperament (riding): Generally Calm; Gets fast/hot while jumping; Spooks occasionally at weird noises
Experience: Never refuses a jump, has jumped 4ft in her past; has won a few blue ribbons in different low level shows; moves well/knows how to use her body, scopey jump, flying lead changes; was taught low level dressage and cross country; does well on trails; has been used a lesson pony; bareback rides too
Attractiveness: (You decide based on picture)
Vices:
1. Has had leg problems in the past (swollen back legs, goes lame occasionally)
2. Had a major injury to her head when she got stuck in a hay feeder causing a moderate sized gash on the bottom side of her muzzle and most likely a concussion to her head **THIS HAPPENED OVER A YEAR AGO SHE IS PERFECTLY SOUND NOW AFTER BEING TAKEN CARE OF BY A VET**
3. (keep in mind she's been sitting for 8 months) Rushes jumps, has built up too much muscle on right side of body and so struggles and gets really fast with left lead
4. Is overweight by at least 30 pounds, and out of shape
5. Can get testy/bad attitude about who rides her (not for beginners)
6. Hasn't gone to a show in over 3 years

Bottom line: She was great in her prime, but now she's no longer a show pony or at her best age. Well versed, but has some health problems and is overweight. **Her showing background also means NOTHING to me because I do not show** Her owner still prices her at $7,500 and thinks of her as the perfect pony despite her problems.

What do you guys think she's worth?

*(outdated picture, taken while she was in shape)*

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
No spots, plain bay. Not registered. Out of shape, no longer considered prime age. Not an easy kid ride. Sounds a bit past green broke. No big show record. Doesn't seem to equal $7500 to me. In New England the pint would be $800-2500.

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Perfect little jumper but priced a bit high, offer 1/2 that.

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
An APHA registered 14:1hh gelding out of my now gelding sold for $60,000 in his prime 5 yrs old after a pony jumping thing at Spruce Meadows. Two years later, he was 9 years old, a better jumper IMO, sold for 1/10th of that.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
That picture wasn't impressive but I would tell her you are interested but not at that price. If she doesn't sell for that and they come down ask them to contact you. Some ponies that jump go for much more. Her lameness history would be a concern.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Get a PPE and find out why she has back leg problems before you go further.

She is not worth that asking price. With the info you've given, she's in the $2500 to $3000 range. IF she is sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.