The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you share what is it in YOUR area? How much do you pay? How long is the lesson? What are the rules? Etc...

We have big difference in prices from $35 with backyard trainer (which is waste of money) to $75 with the dressage trainer (frankly that's too expensive IMO, but...). I usually try to find "the golden medium".

Some trainers in area have different prices for 30 - 45 - 60 mins. I really dislike such places (was burned twice) because even you say you want 45 mins (c'mon, not everyone is rich as Bill Gates :) ) they keep going and then charge you for 60 mins (or even 1.5 hours in one case). Well, I probably should just break it at 45 mins by telling them to stop, but I never feel very comfortable doing that. :(

·
Registered
212 Posts
My coach is awesome.. O.O she charges 100 a month.
Teaches everything. So 100 a month is... 20 bucks a lesson? Yeah.. and its for an hour. Its pretty sweet.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I pay 40.00 for a bi weekly lesson with my trainer for and hour and then the next week I go out and watch my trainer do work with her since sh eis so youngand I am in college. The training ride is also 40.00 and I live in WA and go to my barn about 4-6 days a week. So in one month on avervge I pay $80.00- $120.00. I love it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
My daughter's lessons are $40/hr private, $35/1.5 hr semi private (2 people) and $30/ 1.5 hr group (3+ people). During the winter her lessons are semi private, usually riding with a teenage girl who has been helping at her lessons since she started 2 years ago (I'm talking missed 2 lessons of hers in 2 years. She adores my daughter).

The lesson starts with the kids getting their own horse (depending on the kid and horse, with appropriate supervision), the kids do a full groom on the horse. Tack up, then lead into the arena. After the lessons are finished, the kids also do a quick groom and return the horse to their stall/pasture.

The instructor tries hard to keep the kids on the same horse for their lessons. The kids and the horses form great bonds that way. (Okay, the same goes for adults, but I'm always there for kid's lessons.)

She is one of the more expensive western horsemanship/trail instructors around, but fortunately my daughter was gifted lessons for life from my uncle 2 years ago, so I haven't spent anything except to buy the helmet.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
My barn actually just switched to a new way of paying for lessons....the old system was "buy seven lessons get the eighth free" so you were really paying like 300 dollars for 8 lessons....Individual lessons were 35 for a group, 45 for private, and you were required to take at least three private lessons before joining any group lesson.

The new system is, you can pay for one or two lessons a week per month, and they're subdivided into group and private lessons.

The lessons are an hour long and if you're a beginner, start with grooming, so you really only do 30 minutes of riding, and if you're advanced, start when you enter the arena.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I pay $40 until we get some good results. My teacher does everything western. He is so great...

·
Registered
36 Posts
i pay $45 for an hour group lesson. it's actually a cheaper barn then others around.
my trainer gives everyone good attention so it being in a group is fine.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
$80 for a 45min private lesson on her horse, or $60 on my horse. $60 for a group lesson for 1hr on her horse, $45 for a group lesson on my horse. I think thats very reasonable. She has a huge waiting list and is respected as one of the top trainers/riders in the state. Definately worth the money. i think you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
$80 for a 45min private lesson on her horse, or $60 on my horse. $60 for a group lesson for 1hr on her horse, $45 for a group lesson on my horse. I think thats very reasonable. She has a huge waiting list and is respected as one of the top trainers/riders in the state. Definately worth the money. i think you get what you pay for.
i so agree. i know some trainers in the area that charge $100 because they are top people, judges etc. as long as the pay fits the trainer, it's so worth it!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
i so agree. i know some trainers in the area that charge $100 because they are top people, judges etc. as long as the pay fits the trainer, it's so worth it!
yep exactly.
I find that the cheaper trainers usually aren't the ones with a waiting list, and no body know's who they are. I'd rather pay a bit more and go to someone who I know has a very successfull competition background, as well as students who are also riding successfully.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
It really depends where you go. A lot of barns have training programs where lessons, and training rides on your horse are part of the package. At the barn I was at last, I paid $40/private lesson (which is all I did because I didn't fit with any of the groups they had going on), or you could be in a group.
The barn I am currently at has different prices for group lessons as well as privates but the price of either lessons or training is essentially the same regardless of where you go or board.

The only time you will ever see prices substancially change is it involves a lease.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I typically charged $50 a week. That was usually for an hour to an hour and a half lesson (I have to say, I was really bad at checking my watch!) and was either one day a week for an hour or two days a week for a half hour, depending on what the client preferred. Too bad I can't do it while pregnant! Haha!

At the moment our barn has two trainers, one english and one western and through the barn they are $40/lesson. But Katie also does lessons on her own like I did and charges around the same price. $50/week was to travel to a barn and do the lesson.

That's about typical prices for where we are. A few people pay to have a dressage trainer drive up (she lives an hour away) and she brings one of her horses to our barn. I don't know the price per person exactly, because it's usually a group lesson. I've watched one of her lessons and she seems to be worth it, but I imagine it's pretty pricey, especially considering her travel. She uses both the rider's horse and her own horse to teach the lesson.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I ride with my BO's daughter in lessons and we pay like $20 each. The lessons are usually around an hour but will stretch until good results are achieved without extra prices.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We charge $25 for a 45 minute lesson which is more than reasonable (especially around here). Aaaaand we usually go overtime.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I've always charged 20$ per lesson, and that may be a lesson for a 45 minutes, or 2 hours...whatever it takes to get horse and rider communicating well that day.

As far as what's around my area, I've seen anywhere from 25-70$ per lesson...I would love to take a few dressage lessons when I get Flicka going well; ie, after she already knows basic dressage. I think she's got the talent to be able to do some upper level movements, and that's what I would want to get some lessons for. :D

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing, folks! Looks like the prices are about similar for most people (mom2pride, u are certainly an exception! :D ).

I take private lessons. On my horse during Fall, now on trainer's horse (can't trailer and even ride in my place with all this horrible weather we are having). I took group lessons last winter (to keep myself fit), but frankly it didn't teach me much (too many people and the instructor was so-so especially for the money they charge). So paying little extra for private lesson (where you get as much attention as you can) is the best way to go (for me).

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
my old trainer in indiana charged $30 for a semi private = 1hr flat & 30min jumping =]

·
Registered
359 Posts
1 hr private reining lesson $50
1 hr shared reinig lesson $35

·
Registered
699 Posts
At my barn it is $25 dollars for an hour practice ride. This is for experienced people who don't have a horse and just want to ride. You must be supervised by an adult if under 18, and you must wear appropriate riding equipment(i.e. helmet if under 18, boots with a heel). Then there are 1 hour group lessons for $35, with 2 or more riders, usually ended with a trail ride. Then the private lessons are $35 for 30 mins, or $45 for 1 hour.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.