The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
"A pregnant uterus is a healthy uterus." If your mare meets your breeding requirements then it is generally best to keep her in-foal. I don't breed off of foal heat, I breed off of the mare's second heat after foaling. My older broodmare is going to be bred until she will not take off of the 1st or 2nd cover, then she'll just be retired. She's easy to get pregnant and easy to foal out, she is 17 and this is foal #11 for her. After this one I might try for an ET Appendix for a riding horse. She's a beautiful mare with not a mean bone in her body, who makes incredible foals. Her progeny have sold cumulatively sold for over a million USD at auction.

Her daughter meanwhile is getting a planned year off this season so that her first three foals can start proving themselves. I was offered a free breeding to a stallion this year after she'd already had her second post-foaling heat, and her ovaries wouldn't cooperate so I didn't even send her to the stud. It was too late in the season to deal with her nonsense. As her two year looks like a star she'll be bred to a better stallion early next season.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My mare is not of breeding quality (I do like her a lot how she looks and she produces really nice looking mare and stallions, but Idk if it was because they were kept in tiny places with many other horses, but they acted crazy hahsha still one of her daughters was the most beautiful horse I ever seen)

I think it is easier keeping the mare pregnant because then you don't have to deal with all the heats she has until she gets pregnant or months pass by (and see her with my gelding having fun hahaha). On the other hand keeping her pregnant (choosing the stud) would make life easier in many aspects.

This is my first and last mare though hahaah
On the other hand some nice mares get EVIL when they're dealing pregnancy hormones. I know a few mares that you can tell are pregnant before the first scan. Same in the opposite direction too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts