The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does everyone invest in a new helmet?

I didn't realize that it was supposed to be changed every 5 years. I wish that I had known better and spent the money on a decent helmet.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
When it's had a hard knock, either though a fall or, on one occasion, when I dropped it and it bounced down concrete stairs. I wasn't sure and played it safe and bought another.

The make of helmet I use says every three to five years so I average around the five years. I never used to though, I kept a helmet through my teens and early twenties and many falls without realising.

·
Super Moderator
11,981 Posts
There are expiry dates on them. Look at dates when you purchase they will have manufacture date or date to replace by. There are other factors that make it prudent to replace - where stored, environment exposed to....

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Not often enough. My last one was only replaced because a dog ripped up the lining. Should probably go look for the expiry on mine...

·
Super Moderator
14,122 Posts
Helmet manufacturers strongly suggest replacing every 5 years. IF you ride often enough, its worn out about that time {mine is}
After any drop of it, bang of it against anything where you hear that thunk sound or just "know" you clunked it harder than you should of....
Those hairline cracks not seen are what can, could and do compromise the ability of the helmet to protect that thing encased in bone atop your shoulders...
We have only one brain and keeping it as healthy as possible should be a lifelong goal for all of us. (y)

Since all helmets certified as "equestrian use" undergo the same testing requirements whether it is a $29.99 or $650.00 helmet, all test the exact same tests and passed, period!!
It is fit and comfort level specific to each persons preference and like that can make prices so varied.
Now add in color of the helmet shell, who is a paid endorser of said product, what the fad and that months "flavor of the month" is and your affordable helmet can be unaffordable in a hurry...
A helmet comfortable to wear is the best cause you will wear it...purchase a helmet that fits well and is comfortable.
With so many choices to choose from for the varied budgets there is surely a helmet that meets all your needs and $$ to spend.
🐴...

·
Banned
904 Posts
I replace every 5 years or as said above after a hard knock. I do keep my helmets though just in case I need it at some point

Reactions: pnr

·
Registered
756 Posts
Six months after my head injury and was taken away in the helicopter the neurologist told me From now one you have to wear a helmet. I asked How am I going to find one that fits the horse?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Change your helmet when you fall!! No matter if it's new or even ten minutes old.
You actually have to change your helmet every year, but you should also change your toothbrush every month or so. No one does so (at least not what I am aware of). I change mine once in two years and when it's an expensive one, once in three years.

·
Super Moderator
11,981 Posts
No, you don't have to change your helmet every year. You change by the date on the helmet. Unless - you have had a fall that impacts the helmet or the conditions you keep it in destroy the integrity of the helmet. Typically it would be once every 5 years if you bought a new helmet. By new I mean the date of manufacture is recent. I've seen helmets at local mom and pop stores that have been sitting for years so are on clearance. You have no idea of the conditions those were kept. Since all helmets have to pass the basic safety and be certified there are many affordable options that are new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts