The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times a week do you ride your horse? For how long?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I try to ride about three times a week, usually for about an hour each ride but sometimes more or less depending on what we are doing.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i ride my mare 2-4 times a week, bc she is 3.5yo. i ride my pony scout whenever i have time, but he usually gets ridden everyday by me or the girl who leases him or my friend who jumps him

·
Registered
361 Posts
3-4x a week at 1 hour+ (he gets turned out the other days)

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
5-6 times a week for 45 to 80 minutes. Keep in mind the 10-15 minute warm up and cool down in walk on either end :p

·
Registered
956 Posts
During the summer: 3-5 times a week for 2-6 hours generally around 4 though. And even though it is long a long time it is not very stressful on her young mind or body :) The trails are fairly flat and don't require much thought...
During the winter: 1-2 times a week for up to an hour...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5-6 times a week for 45 to 80 minutes. Keep in mind the 10-15 minute warm up and cool down in walk on either end :p
What type of different things do you do in all that time?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I dont haha. My mare is lame and the baby is too young.

I ride my friends horse when I can. I will ride a horse who needs it more often, if the horse does great with a few rides a week or month, I dont push it. I just kind of ease them into conditioning if I show or want to take consistent lessons.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats cool how he gets ridden by a pro

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Weather premitting 4-5 times a week minimum 1 hour. I won't saddle up for less than an hour :lol: It takes me 30 min. or longer to tack up so I can't see not staying in the saddle for less than an hour.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Not nearly as often as I would like. With my schedule as it is now, I get to ride maybe 3 days a week but I average more than 3 hours if the weather is good.

When I still lived at home and had constant access to my horse, I would ride every day. Usually for 4+ hours a day, sometimes 7 or 8 in the summer when there was no school.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
3 times a month (maybe)
until I can have back surgery, I'm not able to ride because of the pain,But I do it anyways lol

I miss being able to ride everyday.

·
Registered
200 Posts
During the Summer and nice part of Autumn it was pretty much every day. But going into winter it was only on weekends. At the moment, i haven't ridden him in 3 weeks due to the weather :S I usually ride for 30 minutes to an hour and a half. Depends what we're doing. Never more than 30 minutes schooling usually. Sometimes we go on very long 3 hour + hacks. Just depends.

·
Registered
744 Posts
As much as I can, but I am in college with no horse of my own. I go home when I can and normally ride everyday when I am there for anywhere from 1-3 hours or more. These horses are ridden much more by everyone else, and all are on pasture 24/7 and in pretty good shape. In that time we may w/t the barrels, lope the barrels, play on the poles, go on a trail ride, go to an arena and play with scary things, ride bareback to give me an even harder workout, or just walk, trot, and lope around aimlessly.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
From March or April to October or November {weather permitting} I ride 6 days a week for about 45 minutes to an hour. He is 15 and fully capable of it. The 7th day I have a lesson at a stable and don't have time to ride him.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
What type of different things do you do in all that time?
Well I do my warm up in trot and canter and go from there. Depending on how my horse is feeling that day I'll work on different things.
Lately our main focus has been getting him quicker and stronger in the canter through the use of working pirouettes and counter canter. And also getting my timing quicker for the changes, so I'll work on things like simple change exercises. We are also working on getting him to stretch more over the back and reaching into the contact to develop shwung in the trot. So I'm riding a lot of forward and back, on the straight, in the shoulder in, half pass, etc. I'll also do transitions within my lateral movements to keep him coming more uphill.
And on good days I'll school half steps, and work on the very collected, or pirouette, canter.
Serpentines are also the bane of my existence so I'll do lots of those, again to help my timing.

There's lots to work on when you're between levels!! :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.