Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you ride your horse?

I have very limited time and don't ride him more than once a month or so. I'm afraid he's going to get wild although he's dead broken. I've only had him about 2 months but has been tested by all my DS's friends. LOL

·
Registered
303 Posts
We moved to an equestrian focused area of the country and live in an equestrian 'hood' that I ride in... I've been blessed to retire from working (way over) full time and now work a part time job... I ride about 3-4 times/week and about 1-1.5 hours each outing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
It depends on the season. Up to 3-4 times a week when I'm lucky. Sometimes not at all for 3-4 months in winter. And the horses don't turn wild when not
ridden.

But: they are in contact with us, more than once, every single day. There is also on-going training during daily chores, grooming, turn out and in, feeding, etc. There is more to ownership than riding, especially if you keep your horses at home.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I sometimes ride everyday, other times don't ride for weeks, usually a couple of times a week though.

Some horses are fine after a break, others need a couple of days or a week of work to get back into it, or might need some lunging/groundwork a day or two before being ridden. It all depends on your horse.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
At least 5 days out of the week all year round. Luckily my barn is close to my home and my school goes to my barn as am alternative to gym class. So I go there Fridays no matter what.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Spring, summer, and fall --> about 5 to 6 days a week.

Winter --> 2 to 3 times a week. Mostly just due to snow/ice and getting dark so early.

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
My horses are at home so if it's not icy or -20C, I ride almost everyday both horses. Less in the winter, maybe 4 or 5 days a week, about 45 minutes each horse. Of all my friends that ride & compete, I ride the most and I get on their cases' about not riding enough. I am fondly known as "The Ride Nazi".
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I don't ride at all at the moment. One of my mares is 34" tall and the other is still a new two year old who will not be ready to be started for another year or so ;) I go out and see them as much as possible though. Up until last week I saw them both twice a day (self care board) but I've switched them and they're farther away now, so I'm altering between the two (different barns) and seeing them every other day.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Everyday in the summer, spring and fall. 5 days a week in winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Generally 3-4 days a week and one of those days is a lesson.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sometimes, 5 days a week. Sometimes, twice a week. Sometimes he'll get turned out in a big old pasture for three months and someone will look over a couple times a week and make sure that, yep, he's still there and still alive. After that he came back into work and didn't miss a beat. If a horse is well trained and not the sort that suffers from a few days off normally, a few more is a non-issue.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Depending on the season, workload, house chores and miscellaneous responsibilities anywhere from 4 days a week to once a month.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Depends on the season. If my horse is conditioned and we're in the heart of show reason, I don't ride her at home at all. I do CTRs; I ride her 50 miles, she comes home and gets two weeks of rest, and then we go to another ride. This goes on during spring and fall. During the winter, after our last ride of the year, she gets 6-8 weeks of complete vacation. I pull shoes, cut her grain, and let her be a horse. When the weather clears back up, I start riding her regularly until next show season. 4-5 days a week. She's never crazy, even after those 8 weeks off. She's the same horse every time I get on her.

My other horse isn't great on that program. I can actually tell if she hasn't been ridden in a few weeks because she acts like an idiot. I get on her at least every other day to keep her brain conditioned.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
On average at least two days a week - sundays and after school wednesdays.

This week we had two days of school off, and we rode four days. In the summer we right about two or three days a week.

We will hopefully get our horses back on our own property again next summer, and once we do you can bet your pennies I will be out there twicr a day - and not just to feed ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Usually once a week. I work full time and they are kept about 30 minutes away from where I live. So I can swing the gas and time to get there about once a week typically. In the summer I can occasionally do twice a week since it doesn't get dark until about 8:30.

Right now it's my busy season for work too so I am working pretty consistently 6-7 days/week. I haven't seen my horsey since the last week of September and it sucks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.

My horse is home. I'm just pulled in too many directions right now.

I pet, brush and talk to him once or twice a day.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Usually 3-4 days each week for me, as long as I'm allowed to count the night I feed at the barn and definitely don't have time to do any "serious" riding! :)

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Usually 5-6 times a week but sometimes only 3-4 times a week, depending on the weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.