The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it all depends on the horse, the workload, and what they've done.

But in your opinion, when looking at a horse to buy, how old is too old?

Let me give some background.
I have my Yearling Arabian Colt. I currently ride/train a 4 year old DWB Mare. I compete in Hunter/Jumpers over the winter to keep solid, and Event in the summer.

I am looking for a mount that I can ride now, while my baby grows up.

My trainer just called to tell me that somebody a lady from our stable knows has a Thoroughbred she's looking to give practically free to a good home. He is a 16.3h 12 year old Thoroughbred. He's done Hunters/Jumpers, he is very solid over fences and on the ground. Really knows his stuff.

We are going to talk more about it tomorrow, and then go look at him probably. I need to make sure he's sound and has no medical issues, obviously.

But it kind of worries me that he is 12.
I've always had young horses. Is 12 too old? I will find out what all he has done, but I know he's never done any of the high level showing, obviously, otherwise she'd at least be able to sell him for something more, even in this crappy economy.

I had a Thoroughbred once that I evented with, who was 12, and he was perfectly healthy. But then there is a 15 year old Jumper in our barn who has to have hock injections twice a year and his legs are crap from racing.

Please give me your input.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well, I hope 12 isn't too old because my jumper is 12 and she's doing great!
My friend also has a jumper that is in his late 20s. I think it all depends on the horse, and how well you take care of them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

I am just a worrier I guess. I guess I will just have to wait until I go look at him to find out about him.

I was just wanting opinions on 'how old is too old' in general really.

Sorry!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

I am just a worrier I guess. I guess I will just have to wait until I go look at him to find out about him.

I was just wanting opinions on 'how old is too old' in general really.

Sorry!

:p
You don't have to be sorry. lol
I think this TB you're gonna look at will be fine. Or at least until your baby is old enough to ride. :)

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
12 is nowhere NEAR too old! That's just all grown up and predictable (mostly, maybe... unless the moon is full...) LOL... Lots of horses are working well into their 20's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, my daughter's horse is 31 and would STILL love to jump if we would let him. In fact yesterday we were walking over some raised poles and he kept wanting to pop over them. Even at his age, he is sound for 1 hour trail rides on an almost daily basis.

We are newer riders so personally, we like a horse at least in their mid teens--one that has been there, done that, etc.

·
Registered
743 Posts
But in your opinion, when looking at a horse to buy, how old is too old?
Personally, I try to stay away from horses at 20 years old or older. When browsing ads, its offputting to me. I just personally have a very hard time with putting considerable (1,000+) money down on a horse that might not be what I want i had purchased in one year... if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I love senior horses, and I love ground work (riding isnt everything to me) but if I pay 4 digits for a horse, I kind of feel I should be able to have the opportunity to ride at some point in time.

Also, the reason I say 20, is because most of the horses I browse for are steady trail mounts... not horses bound for competition. So my answer kind of isnt helpful ^^;

When we got Jasmine she was 19, arthritic, had navicular, needed $90.00 shoes every 5 weeks, and we tried to not canter her under saddle anymore. We still walked and trotted her, but I got her because of my personal attachment to her from over the years. I wanted to do -something- right for her, since so many other people turned their backs on her.

I currently ride/train a 4 year old DWB Mare. I compete in Hunter/Jumpers over the winter to keep solid, and Event in the summer.
You compete in Eventing/Hunter/Jumper on the 4 year old mare? I watched some people at the ranch I took lessons at start a 5 year old mare over jumps and realized she was getting horrendous leg/knee issues. Come to find out she was actually 4, and they completely blew her knees out. The cartilidge was all messed up, and they *sighs* sold her as a hunter horse to some stranger who didn't know what happened =/ They probably over-jumped her though *shrugs* i don't know much about Jumping ^^ I was never that interested in it =)

But it kind of worries me that he is 12.
When I had been helping clients find well schooled Dressage mounts, they would pull up articles on 4 year old and 5 year old "Grand Prix" trained horses and i would immediately say "NO". In Dressage, young isnt necissarially a good thing. Every time I would go out to see one of these 5 year old Grand Prix level horses there was SO much resistance and absolute hate in every single hoof beat because their training was rushed for immediate sale.

Jumpers, on the other hand, im not sure of... but If I were buying a jumper, I'd look around the 10-14 year range. Take a peek at the Show Jumper competitions (as well as the Rolex competition) and look at the age of the horses. I see a ton of Snow White horses, and it tends to take quite a few years for the horses to get that grey coat ;)

If I saw a young jumper on the market, I would wonder why someone was selling it. I'd be worried someone blew out the horse's legs already and needed money for a new mount. Alternatively, if i saw a middle aged horse (15 years) for sale as a jumper, i'd definately want to get X rays and see him move on more than one occasion (and make sure he wasn't doped up!)

Sooooo... i guess i'll try to wrap it up ;) 12 is worth a look, but if your spending any serious amount of money, definately vet check this horse ^^

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
my horse is 20yrs and he is still running barrels and poles strong actually we improve every show. Our times get faster and our turns get better. AND I just started training him to jump he goes over 3ft and loves it. I think it really depends on their health how well you care for them their breed , etc,etc,etc lots of things are factors

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You compete in Eventing/Hunter/Jumper on the 4 year old mare? I watched some people at the ranch I took lessons at start a 5 year old mare over jumps and realized she was getting horrendous leg/knee issues. Come to find out she was actually 4, and they completely blew her knees out. The cartilidge was all messed up, and they *sighs* sold her as a hunter horse to some stranger who didn't know what happened =/ They probably over-jumped her though *shrugs* i don't know much about Jumping ^^ I was never that interested in it =)
Oh goodness no!
That is just what I've done in the past, and want to do with whatever horse I accumulate.
The mare is 4, turning 5 this year. I have kept her to simple 2' jumps only twice a month. That is it. I definitely am very wary of horses legs.

I am going to take her to one or two "mini events" this summer and do the 1' division with her. She is almost 17h, so she could easily just walk over them. Its a teeny tiny division, for beginner horses (or riders). =)
I think she's going to do great, but I agree... some people push youngsters way too fast. I am being super cautious with her. I even go as far as to put liniment on her legs after we once every other week. =P

I guess my worry about this guy stems from that. I worry a lot about my horses, their legs. I've seen far too many problems arise from people not taking correct proper care, or overworking them, especially in the Jumper/Eventer world.

He is SUPER cheap. Like you wouldn't believe how cheap. But it is to an approved, good home only. I think she is in a bind and needs to just cut the expense. (Don't we all in this economy!) At least that is what I got from it at least. I would definitely do a vet check, just to be safe.

Honestly, its the only reason I'm interested in him. Normally, I don't like the horses who 'know it all', or who have been there & done it already. I like training my own horses, and growing together w/ them. But he's a good price, and I don't think he's ever Evented, so at least I'd be able to be the first to train him in that aspect. He'd be a nice contrast to the 4 year old, who has enough attitude for everyone here on the forums. (Drama queen!) Haha..

I will post pictures as well of him for critique.
:)

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I prefer younger horses, purely because I want to have them for awhile. 12 to me, is still a "young" horse. I have ridden horses into their 20's and 30's that have acted like they're five: Healthy, good joints, spirited, etc. My only problem with horses in that age group is the shorter amount of time I would have with them.

I wouldn't be thrown off by a horse being 12 though.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Good! I figured I misunderstood something! LOL!

I completely understand where you're coming from with your leg phobia, lol! I have a hoof phobia with horses x_x I want to learn more about the hooves and legs. I already know quite a bit, I just want to be able to spot things a bit better than i already can. I've been thinking about buying some of the textbooks that they sell at Ohio State for their Equine Science degree :p it'd be good to have! I'm glad to see your heart is in the right place hun!! =)

If it were me, i would seriously consider the purchase and get a Vet Check =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts