The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only 15... don't have one yet and probably won't have enough money for one for a few years still, but I was just wondering how old you all were when you got your first car/truck?

·
Registered
523 Posts
30 something. My Da bought me a small, used, car. I didn't have a driving license, and couldn't afford the tax and insurance - so it sat in the drive until he paid the nearly 1,000 for the insurance and I paid for 3 months road tax.

I passed my driving test 8 years ago today!!! :D

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
First car I bought and paid for myself, I was 19 and it was a 77 Triumph Spitfire. It was a really cool car.
I shared an old school bus yellow Ford F150 with my sisters when I was in high school. It was my parents truck though.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I was 17. My dad gave me his old truck. My dad still has it to loan out or to use if mine, or his car is in the shop. I love that truck. It was the reason I got to start riding horses. Since I could drive myself to the barn my mom bought me a riding lesson every week.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I got my first car when I was 17 I think? Up until then I had to use my parents cars.
It was a 90 something neon. most of the interior was missing and it died in about two weeks.
The first car I bought myself was a Toyota camery with no muffler and about 350,000 miles on it. It's a beast and I got it for $500 :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well...I'm 19 and still don't have my own car...then again, I still have my permit. :lol: Scary Colorado winters... But, I can't really afford one right now anyway, so it's ok. I drive my parents van a lot.:p

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got mine when I was 16 as an early 17th birthday present, I share in with my twin though. It's a 1991 mitsabishi lancer called "the beast".

·
Super Moderator
22,659 Posts
Haven't got mine yet. I'm 20 and have had my licence around 1½ years now.

My parents offered to buy me a car soon after I got my licence but I refused. I really don't need to drive that much and even the distances are long in a small municipality (almost rural area) where I live I think I can live without a car at the moment. I tend to take a bus or borrow my dad's car if I the distance between my home and a place where I'm going is too long to cycle or walk.

Of course it'd be nice to have a car of my own but that would also mean a high traffic insurance and other fees. Since my regular "long distance" trips are that I meet my therapist twice a week in our neighbor town and have my riding lesson in that same town every other week I think I don't need a car for these trips. I'd be different if I worked there daily or something.

Of course it occasionally disturbes that I e.g. can't just take a car and drive to meet my friends or relatives who live further away like I'd do if I had a car. But that's how things are now.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I was 16 and my father bought me a '57 DeSoto 4dr, white and blue, push button automatic (ugh). He paid $45.00 for it. Obviously I had no say in it. Every car since, I chose and paid for. I've had some pretty cool cars since then. A few of my favorites were a '67 XKE roadster, a Mitsubishi 3000 GT, a '61 Triumph TR3A, a '69 454 Corvette convertible, and a '28 Pontiac Landau Coupe, just to name a few. :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Huh, I must be a weirdo. I got my first car when I was around 13 years old. That's when I started Drivers Ed. It was a 1988 Oldsmobile. I upgraded when I was 17 to a 1992 Oldsmobile, then when I was 18 and headed to college, a 1997 Chevy. They were all larger, 4-door sedans.
When I was 21 I purchased my first vehicle on my own - a 2001 F-150 and then bought a 2008 Subaru Outback when I was 22. Although in between the '97 Chevy and the 2001 F-150 I drove my husband's 2003 Hyundai Tiburon because he was deployed overseas with the military and it was GREAT on gas!

I started driving when I was 9 years old and my parents regularly upgraded me cars. I think I might have to break that habit now that I'm the one paying for it, though. Haha!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm only 18, and my dad will be getting me a vehicle soon. I had one of my own, but he blew the transmission out of it. Needless to say that is why he is getting me a car....lol.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I was 9 years old and it was Suzuki Swift given as a present by my dad :D.

Regards

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well I don't actually have a car of my own, but I can use our F150 or the Focus if I ask, so basically when I got my license I guess.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm 21 and yet have to get one :p

·
Registered
956 Posts
16 (this year) my parents got it for me because I need to drive my sister and myself to school.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.