The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He just turned 11. He's ottb and stopped racing at age 5. He had 19 starts. His right front has a chipped seisamoid bone and his left front has side bone damage. His right hock has very minor stiffness. The person I bought him from had jumped him 3ft. (she never x-rayed him). He seems to have allot of training under his belt and I wonder if he may have evented at the lower levels. My dressage trainer says I could show him training level right now. Since I bought him I've discovered he needs back shoes. He has rim pads in front. He scraped the front of his hock very badly on the fence (bucked) and I had the vet look at it (no x ray) after it swelled up. My friend thinks he probably wrenched his hock when he did it but the vet said he's sound after I trotted him back and forth in hand. Recently he kicked the fence again but this time with his front leg and hit his cannon bone on it. No scrape, just a pin sized wound that hardly bled but 2 days later it swelled up. I was hoping it was just a bruised periosteum but I'm afraid he might have banged his extensor tendon on the fence or maybe the metal gate. I now only turn him out for 3-4hrs. because there's no grass and since he has 4 shoes he can't have pasture mates. So if he's out more than that he starts going nuts and hurts himself. Once he even hit his nose on the fence post while head tossing and trying to bite his halter (hanging on the fence) at the same time. So I keep his halter away from the fence/gate now. He was trying to get his halter when he hit his cannon bone too. I wasn't there but I know he was playing with his halter again because his halter was off the fence when I came to get him. I haven't been riding him much (no indoor, ice, frozen mud) but he cantered and trotted around sound a week after hitting his cannon bone so maybe the extensor tendon is ok.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have to disagree with that. Almost all my horses have had 4 shoes, and there has never once been an incident when one has hurt the other, even when they were playing. So unless this horse is a major kicker, I think he will be fine if he is out with other horses.
It could be a barn rule. My BM absolutely does not allow horses with 4 shoes in with the others. There's too much of a "what if" risk that she'd rather not chance it.

Sorry for the hijack. I've got no real input, but if he's completely sound & doesn't have issues I wouldn't consider him retired. My mare might be considered "retired" by most people's standards but she still loves to jump & has no pain doing it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
He sounds bored and trying to entertain himself.

If he's sound, then I can't see why you would retire him. Get him some toys to play with to take him away from the fences and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It could be a barn rule. My BM absolutely does not allow horses with 4 shoes in with the others. There's too much of a "what if" risk that she'd rather not chance it.

Sorry for the hijack. I've got no real input, but if he's completely sound & doesn't have issues I wouldn't consider him retired. My mare might be considered "retired" by most people's standards but she still loves to jump & has no pain doing it.
Oh, I didn't think of that. I just naturally assumed she had him at home (In Ireland its more common to keep your horse at home, so I assumed by accident)
Sorry OP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.