The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my question is how tall are you guys and your horses? do you feel to big? too small? have you ever had problems with your height and riding or showing?ill go first.im 5'9 130pounds . i have a 16 hand 3 year old paint. i feel really big on him as i am all legs. i feel that i look stupid. i used to ride a 14.1 hand pony and i always had a problem with "chiken arms". and not being to que my horse right because my legs were too long.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm 5' 9" and my current horse is an 18 hd. draft cross. He's a tad big but still I love riding him. We have a 15 hd paint who is very narrow and my legs wobble and I feel big. Our 13.3 POA, very broad feels better! In high school I had a 16.3 gelding, stout horse and he felt great. I think it's not so much the height but the width of the barrel for me anyways :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I'm only about 5'3-5'4. I will ride anything from 12hh to 18hh haha. Doesn't really bother me. I look small on the bigger horses, but it doesn't mean i can't get them working how I want them, so doesn't really matter. The boy I just bought is a very solid 16.1h wb. I was also leasing a 17hh percheron x 3 year old for a while.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
When I was little I always rode horses who were huge for me..the first horse I ever rode was a 16hh mare when I was about 7 and tiny hehe

But anyway now I'm 5'6.5"..I used to ride a 13.3hh pony and technically wasn't too big for him but I felt big on him. Now I ride a 16hh TB and feel that he's a good height for me or I could go smaller..in the future I probably will. I'd probably try to stick between 14.3 and 16hh for my height, though I would ride smaller or bigger..
I would think your horse would be fine for you..plus as he's only 3 he could still grow and fill out, I believe. I bet you look just fine =)

·
Registered
956 Posts
I am 5'9" about 150lbs and ride a 4 year old 15.1-15.2, 1000lb horse. I feel a little big on her. 16 hands would be perfect! lol

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm 5'9 145lbs and my horse is 16.3 it really feels perfect for me. I like anything around or over 16hh

The filly I got is just over 13hh now and I am really hoping she will get to 15.2 or 15.3 ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am 5'11" and my guy is only 16-16.1...now hes a Wb buit Ottb..(prob why he sucked on the track) lol but I really don't feel that big on him..hes really thick..so to me I don't feel big on him

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
im 5ft2, my horses are 14.3hh & 16-16.1hh =]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Gosh, I wish I were 5'9" - *crosses arms and pouts*

I am 5'7" and I ride a 16.3hh TB. I very long legs, my height is all legs - I can get away with a horse bigger as well. Anything smaller, I'm swimming.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I'm 6' with a 36" inseam. My 16'2 mare is somewhat narrow so I feel huge on her, but my 17' gelding has the broadest back known to mankind so I feel quite comfortable on him. :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm 5'5. I have a 16hh warmblood that is just perfect, but I also ride my 14.3hh gelding and my son's 13.3hh pony mare. I'm not as happy to ride the pony cause I feel like I'm ginormous on her, but I'm just doing refresher flatwork on her so I know she's ok.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm 5'5 and have a 16.2hh Perch/Tb cross that I feel very comfortable on. He is fairly broad and takes up leg well. On my friends 16.3hh TB however I feel big because he is soooo narrow.
I have also ridden my sister's 14.1hh welsh cross on which I feel gigantic since he is also very narrow, but he has no problem carrying me so I guess its not as bad as it feels.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Often it's not just height though, it's also the build of the horse.

Shay-la is 5'9" and I am 5'6" and we both look pretty ridiculous riding Justus who is a 14.1hh Welsh cross pony but she's as narrow as they come. However, Flika is only 14hh but she's a Quarab, so even in picture, we actually look totally fine on her because her barrel is so huge, it takes up our leg. I actually feel smaller riding Flika, then riding my own purebred Arab who's 14.3hh (3 inches taller) who's also narrow.

My Paint filly is 15hh right now, and I feel that's a perfect height for me because she's stockier then my Arab. I'm a bigger girl, so I look silly riding narrow horses even if they're actually taller then the stockier horses I ride. I enjoy riding anything that's between 15 and 16hh. Any bigger then that, and I feel like I'm perched on top of a mountain :lol: That's what happens when you ride little Arabs your entire life!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Im 5'7-5'8. Bear would be roughly 17-17.2hh, might end up being a little bigger when he starts standing taller and gets all of his muslcing. =]
8_31_2009 2_11 PM_0001f.jpg

l_303ec06e2bd64ea589487e573dba0aef.jpg

Picture 585 001_0001.jpg

Got a little picture happy, sorry ;]

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I'm about 5'7"-8" and Soda is about 15.3. I feel like we're a good fit. But he's a well built horse. Weighs between 1200-1300 pounds, so I don't feel like I look huge on him or anything.

Here's bareback.

soda 018.jpg

In saddle.
7.13.2008 006.jpg

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam, my horse is about 16.2hh, he's a "medium" (neither skinny, nor broad) and I think I'm okay on him ...

·
Registered
755 Posts
okay so my question is how tall are you guys and your horses? do you feel to big? too small? have you ever had problems with your height and riding or showing?ill go first.im 5'9 130pounds . i have a 16 hand 3 year old paint. i feel really big on him as i am all legs. i feel that i look stupid. i used to ride a 14.1 hand pony and i always had a problem with "chiken arms". and not being to que my horse right because my legs were too long.
I am 5'3 and 104 pounds, Starlite is 15.2hh and Dream is 15.1hh. I feel 'just right' on both of them, I've never had problems and never felt self concious on them or anything.

Starlite (15.2hh)

Dream (15.1hh)

·
Registered
852 Posts
im 5'1 mayb 5'2 but im all legs. Swoop is 16.1 TB but he has a deep girth and takes up leg well, my best friend is 5'10 and she rides him and fits him perfectly as do i bc my legs are almost as long as hers lol at least when i stretch them in the saddle anyway. Petey is a 16.3h TB built like a WB but i still fit him just as well too. if i ride anything under 16h my legs look too long unless they have a big barrel but i prefer bigger horses. my old Hano was 18h at 4 and i didnt look tiny on him bc i'm fairly proportioned w my legs and arms and how far my legs stretch down when im in the saddle

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.