The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my best friend yesterday. He is buried on my property. Any ideas on how to mark the grave? Have been looking for a stone or other type of memorial.
He was in his 30's. He was my first horse and everything I ever dreamed of. any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
They have kits at many craft stores for doing various garden stones with glass fragments and other stuff. That might be something nice. or you can make up your own mold and get some quick set cement and do something with that too.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss :( I lost my first horse friend 2 weeks ago.

My husband is making a cross out of the same wood we use to make everyone's name tags out side their stalls. He's hand carved and stained it, and he plans to shlack (is that the right word?) It either tomorrow or the next day. If I get a chance I will post a picture of it for you.

Again, I am very sorry to hear the news. Hugs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've always liked the idea of planting a tree over my mare's grave when she finally passes... that way her body is helping something grow even after her death.

If you do decide to do that there are a few things you have to keep in mind: tree/flower type, soil type, how far down you buried your old friend, etc. If this is something you are interested in, I can go into more detail and point you in the right direction.

You could also do a plaque next to the tree/plant so that as it grows, future generations will know that the tree is special and whose memory it was planted.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
See if you can get a scrap of granite from a rock decor company. Near where I live, there's a business that sells big slabs for countertops and stuff, but they just throw the excess away....in big, pretty, usable chunks. We dug through the junk pile and got some nice cut pieces, then took one to a monument/grave stone company and had it very nicely engraved. And they only charged $20.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I like the idea of planting a tree. We put Rain out near the edge of the woods, so that when her brothers and sisters eventually go, they can rest with her. There is plenty of room there... I also thought about hanging her halter and lead rope off of the cross. I feel awful that you're going through what I am. It hurts everyday. Keeping you in my thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
45 Posts
See if you can get a scrap of granite from a rock decor company. Near where I live, there's a business that sells big slabs for countertops and stuff, but they just throw the excess away....in big, pretty, usable chunks. We dug through the junk pile and got some nice cut pieces, then took one to a monument/grave stone company and had it very nicely engraved. And they only charged $20.
I like this suggestion also. I might keep that in mind for the marker that I would do along with the tree...

·
Registered
186 Posts
What we have done over each of the horses graves that we have lost over the years... there is a an apple tree planted...then when the trees are big enough we are going to carve the name of the horse in the tree.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone. There are some great ideas here and I will use some of them. Also thank you for all the kind words. It is so hard but I know he lived a long life. I was blessed to have the time with him that I did. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that ia a beautiful cross. The fact that your husband made it makes it that more special. My thoughts are with you as I know how difficult it is to lose someone you love.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Thank you. I am sure you are still struggling as well. It doesn't get much easier for a while...

My DH isn't much of a horsey person. He writes the checks and that is pretty much it. He was really effected by the loss of Rain, whether he admits it or not. He made the cross and he also wrote a song for her (he's a musician.)

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
So sorry for your loss. :hug:

We also plant trees and when they are large enough, we hang a cross on them that's had name & dates carved into them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really helps to have all these great ideas and to know that you all really care. You all seem to understand that I lost my very best friend, not just a horse as some people seem to think. Thanks for that. My thoughts are with you all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.