The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very muddy stall and I want to dry it so that I can start putting shavings down. I used to but they never last since the stall is so muddy😭

would lime to dry it be a good idea? Or should I try the “stall dry” product ? Anything helps

·
Super Moderator
15,687 Posts
Neither....
If your stall is muddy it is possibly to low and not able to drain properly...
A fresh layer of material is needed after you dig out some of the saturated dirt already in place..
No matter what a stall dirt/sand/road base is used, at some point needs to be back to level height so leaching can begin again.
Sounds as if no shavings have been used in some time but the horses used for their urine potty...
Or your stall floor has been either dug down or compacted and needs renewal.

The products you mentioned are for smell containment not absorbing wet...
Shavings absorb wet, not lime or stall dry...
Start by making a new base and then add shavings, clean daily and expect to add shavings bi-weekly or sooner to start drying, keeping dry and daily stall cleaning is a must..
🐴...

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
Why is it muddy? Is it because it's a dirt floor and they pee in it or is it because of drainage?

If it's a dirt floor that they are peeing in then you want to clean the wet spot out and then put lime down before building it back up.

Reactions: Kalraii and BBStarr

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neither....
If your stall is muddy it is possibly to low and not able to drain properly...
A fresh layer of material is needed after you dig out some of the saturated dirt already in place..
No matter what a stall dirt/sand/road base is used, at some point needs to be back to level height so leaching can begin again.
Sounds as if no shavings have been used in some time but the horses used for their urine potty...
Or your stall floor has been either dug down or compacted and needs renewal.

The products you mentioned are for smell containment not absorbing wet...
Shavings absorb wet, not lime or stall dry...
Start by making a new base and then add shavings, clean daily and expect to add shavings bi-weekly or sooner to start drying, keeping dry and daily stall cleaning is a must..
🐴...
It’s a leak in the roof but the guy hasn’t fixed it yet, it’s been months

1 - 7 of 7 Posts