The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a horse Chiropractor after the farrier checked out Boo and how he was moving strangely he agrees with me that he should see one. Issue is? Don't know of any in this area. I've tried looking it up online with no results. And have asked local vets. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
I would have a good equine vet out before I got involved with a chiro.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I disagree Jaydee-LOVE my chiro-and she actually come 7 hours from NH to visit us when we need her. So-she is closer to you!

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
If you have a good well trained chiro that's been recommended by an experienced person - then I've no problem with that but there are a lot of 'quacks' out there that can mislead you and do more damage than good
A trained Equine vet should be able to diagnose a problem - its not their job to 'fix backs' (unless they are also trained to do that) but they should know of someone who can if in fact that's what's needed. OP - your horse might be moving strangely for some other reason than a back problem
There were so many problems in the UK that its now illegal there for a chiropractor to work on a horse without consent from the Vet responsible for the animals primary healthcare

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
There's a website, forgot what it's called, that lists all the certified chiros. Check there, and ask around.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is, people here don't use chiros'. Most don't even know they exist. Half the ones that know they do think its a joke. This inculdes vets. Which a lot of people also don't belive in using in this area. For ANY animal. If its hurt, can't work, doesn't heal up on its own. Either throw it in a field and forget about it, see if that helps. Or sell it for whatever you can get and replace. So theres not going to be anyone to point me in the right direction here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You don't say where you're from, but check to see if you have a veterinary college in your area. The university of Illinois has a very experienced horse chiropractor DVM at their hospital. Has done wonders for one of ours. He also does accupuncture, which is amazing to see, as well as the results. He's about 2.5 hours from us, so we schedule him so he can make a loop thru the area and hit several of us in a days trip.
Just be cautious of some of the equine 'massage' types. Tried one - once. Mistake.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
His right rear leg is stiff and moving strange, the hip doesn't rotate like it should. And it leaves him with a stiff and akward gait at walk and trot. He shows pain 2-3 vertebrea before the actual hips

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
That could be one of many things and not all associated directly with the spine - pain from a dislocation or a fracture in the hip, patella, stifle, sacroiliac problem etc could all radiate into the spine

·
Registered
43 Posts
The stiff rear leg at the hip is the same reason we first called the Chiro. It had gotten serious enough that she wouldn't walk. A friend refered us to this Chiro/DVM so we gave him a shot.
He found a definite sensitivity in the spine just in front of the hip. He did an 'adjustment' for about 30 minutes, then asked if we 'minded' if he tried acupuncture. I agreed if he thought it would help.
After about another half hour of AP, he said to let him know the next day what happens. After watching it, I was skeptical, but hoped for some improvement. He didn't leave until about 9:30 pm. that evening.
The next morning I can't say I noticed any improvement. She was still very stiff. When I got home from work that afternoon, everything had changed, and she pushed me out of the way trying to get out of the stall door. She hadn't moved like that in months. So i was convinced.;
That was 5-6 years ago. We've had him back about once a year for a tuneup when she appears to be having a problem. However the last time was in Jan of '12 when he upgraded to a focused laser instead of acupuncture.
When you make contact with your referral, see if he is a DVM as well, and if he can also do acupuncture. I believe in Illinois to do equine Chiro work, a DVM needs to be present. He just happens to be both. The 'massage' therapist we tried wasn't, nor did she do any good.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the Rick Reed awsnered. And DOES come out this way. Appointment made for this coming thursday and we'll see how it goes. If he can't find anything. I will either convince my vet to do x-rays even though he thinks there isn't really an issue. Or find a diff vet. I'll post again after thurs

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chiro came and went today... Boo was badly in need of him and I feel dumb for not thinking of this sooner. He was out in his neck many places in his back(really really back by the withers) , his left hip, and some ribs. At first he wasn't having any of this nonsense but then kinda just paused a moment, and let the guy do whatever he wanted with no more issues. He got the day off today, I'm going to do some walk trot longing tomarow morning and some walk and halt riding in the afternoon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good deal. How's he dining this morning ? Sometimes they're still a little sore the morning after, just like after a human chiro adjustment.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He does seem stiff.. I'm going to try some streatches with him today and leave off at that. The guy said he'd be ok to ride today but I don't think it would be comfy for him and honestly. I've already not rode him for a long time, whats one more day ;)
Also I just saw the comment about him needing rest. He's been on compleat rest since I thought I noticed a problem early last month, and before that was only having light riding done. As in walk trot for about 10 min. Maybe a short canter, and the hand walking for a while before going back to his field

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.