The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm looking at leasing a horse, I'd be paying for everything myself which means I'd be working 4-5 days a week. I'm also in high school. How do you guys find time to juggle work, school, and riding? and how many times do you normally ride a week? Any tips on how I can juggle everything?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Even during the summer I can really only get out to ride about every other day. Sometimes it'll be more than a day between rides, unfortunately, but never more than three days without a ride. During the school year I expect it'll be pretty much the same. Does your barn have a lighted ring? Something that helps me a lot is the fact that we have no real barn hours and we have a lighted dressage ring. So I can go out to the barn at nine or ten at night if I have to to get a ride in or just see my horse. Or really early in the morning. But I doubt that would ever happen. I'm not a morning person. Ha ha.

Good luck!
:]

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hmm, Sometimes it does get pretty tight with time here. I work about 4-5 days a week, and was in high school (graduated) and somehow I found time to get up to the barn. I only got to ride about 3 times a week but whenever I could I would get up to the barn to atleast loung candy if I could not ride her, because when I wasnt working at Mcdonalds (yeah, i know! dont laugh.:lol:) I was helping out around the barn to get money off my lease fees. So I was always busy! Its stressful, but once you get a good scedual down, it gets easier.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
^ Same here. I work at the barn PLUS another job to pay for the Zu.
It's hard, but you can definitely make it work!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I work full time plus have an hr and 10 minute commute each way to and from work so I usually don't get home until after 6. I then have to tend to my other fur babies and pay some attention to them and then if weather is good go to the barn. Most nights I dont get home until around 9 then I have to eat and shower and get ready for the next day! It can be tiring but being a horse owner is never easy and you always make time.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
^ Same here. I work at the barn PLUS another job to pay for the Zu.
It's hard, but you can definitely make it work!

Yupp yup!!:D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The barn he is at right now doesn't have an indoor arena. I'm hoping to be able to move him to somewhere there is, maybe just from December to the end of March. The good thing about where he is now is that it's only about a 15 minute drive from my house. If I move him somewhere with an indoor it's going to be like a half hour drive.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, Sometimes it does get pretty tight with time here. I work about 4-5 days a week, and was in high school (graduated) and somehow I found time to get up to the barn. I only got to ride about 3 times a week but whenever I could I would get up to the barn to atleast loung candy if I could not ride her, because when I wasnt working at Mcdonalds (yeah, i know! dont laugh.:lol:) I was helping out around the barn to get money off my lease fees. So I was always busy! Its stressful, but once you get a good scedual down, it gets easier.
Yeaa don't worry I work at a restaurant called Swiss Chalet, not much better. I've graduated high school too, haha I'm going back for a "victory lap" they call it. Just taking a few more courses and stuff.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
^ Awh, that is pretty cool. We cant do that here. hah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts