The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my horse gets real nappy on xc and digs his toes in and doesn't want to go anywhere. He loves showjumping and also loves to do some cross country schooling but as soon as you get to an event he just won't go anywhere and tries his hardest to not do it. He loves going hunting as well and will happily take the lead then and gallop off but as soon as you start doing cross country he doesn't want to go anywhere but as soon as he sees the jump he'll happily go over it! Not quite sure what to do as I've tried using different aids etc but he just won't go anywhere. If anyone has any tips r advice it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
23,897 Posts
So he is happy to ride those places, go through/over those obstacles, but it's only at actual competitions that he 'puts his foot down'? Sounds like he's nervous of the competition 'vibe', be that from you &/or others there. Does depend IMO as to exactly what his prob is, but I'd probably start by taking him out to events regularly, just to be there, so he becomes comfortable with that, then start doing the events as training exercises, without worrying about actually competing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.