The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, so I have an 18 year old who lost a lot of his weight over winter and just wont gain any of it back, he was a rescue horse a few summers ago but I got him back on his feet and up to weight and was even showing him in speed events, now he just wont gain it back.. I don't know what else to do... any ideas??

Attachments

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Are you sure he's 18 and not older? Give him all the hay he can eat, preferably timothy and try adding 2lbs of Senior pellets twice daily. Put his hay in a small mesh hay net so he has something to eat if he's inside when the bugs are bad. By eating it more slowly he's absorb more of the nutrients. Same with the pellets. Scatter them over as large an area as feasible so he has to nibble rather than bolt them down. There's no such thing as getting weight on a horse in a hurry as muscle is built before fat. You've had his teeth done in the last 6 mos. right? Even if you provide a salt lick, offer loose salt (pickling salt) on the side as horses don't get enough from a lick.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he gets full time pasture, a bale of hay every night split between him and 3 others, and 1 cup of ricebran grain(the powder kind, it works better). this summer ive just been trail riding him, no shows yet because of his weight. he doesn't run around much he just stands there staring off into space and grazing. hes 18, the vet checked him. when I rescued him he was malnourished and everything but I got him back on his feet with ricebran and hay but now that just doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and i was going to try this an see if it worked.

Supply your horse with the energy and focus needed to reach full performance potential! Cool Calories 100 is fed and recommended by many world renowned trainers and Olympic riders from all over the world because of its ability to deliver easily directed energy without creating a high strung horse. This concentrated supplement provides essential fatty acids for skin and coat as well as calories needed for weight gain and focused energy. Formulated with 100% dry vegetable fat, it contains no sugar or carbohydrates and provides five times the amount of fat as stabilized rice bran. Very palatable and easy to mix with grain. Suited for all types of horses and does not conflict with fortified feeds. **please note item only comes in resealable BAGS. Daily Dose: Cool Calories feeding should begin slowly 1-2 ounces per day. You can gradually increased to accomplish the desired weight gain or coat condition. Cool Calories can be fed at a rate of up to 8 ounces per feeding without problems. *Please see label for complete dosage instructions* Sizes: 8 lb. Bag 20lb. Bag Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Fat, Min 99.0% Total Fatty Acid, Min 95.0% Free Fatty Acids, Max 1.0% Unsaponifiable Matter, Max 1.5% Insoluble Impurities, Max 0.5% Moisture, Max 1.0%

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cool calorie doesn't work IMO and makes horse hot.. or at least most.. have you tried beet pulp without molasses? I had nice results with it and LOTS OF HAY!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i havnt, i was going to try some senior feed our local feed store has, i cant remeber the name of it tho.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
This concentrated supplement provides essential fatty acids for skin and coat as well as calories needed for weight gain and focused energy. Formulated with 100% dry vegetable fat, it contains no sugar or carbohydrates and provides five times the amount of fat as stabilized rice bran. Very palatable and easy to mix with grain. Suited for all types of horses and does not conflict with fortified feeds. **please note item only comes in resealable BAGS. Daily Dose: Cool Calories feeding should begin slowly 1-2 ounces per day. You can gradually increased to accomplish the desired weight gain or coat condition. Cool Calories can be fed at a rate of up to 8 ounces per feeding without problems. *Please see label for complete dosage instructions* Sizes: 8 lb. Bag 20lb. Bag Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Fat, Min 99.0% Total Fatty Acid, Min 95.0% Free Fatty Acids, Max 1.0% Unsaponifiable Matter, Max 1.5% Insoluble Impurities, Max 0.5% Moisture, Max 1.0%

This is not feed, it is a supplement to be fed with feed/grain.
I have never heard of rice bran grain to be
honest... I have heard of rice bran used in feed but not a feed with that as the main ingredient...
CAN YOU SUPPLY US A NAME AND MANUFACTURER OF YOUR FEED? That will help everyone to give you the best advice.....
To be honest, there is not a feed manufacturer that recommends feeding 1 cup of feed a day or twice a day...
Feed/grain is fed by weight not quart or cup measurement... what you describe would not keep my dog in good weight fed that amount twice a day let alone a 1000 pound animal...sorry.
You need to give/feed more calories in than the horse is using and putting out for the animal to gain any weight.

As for hay....1 bale between 4 horses {a bale of hay every night split between him and 3 others} is also not enough hay, period.

Your horse is now older than when you "rescued" him several years ago.
I would strongly suggest he be seen by a vet...
You mention him being seen by a vet when you rescued him several years ago...Has he been seen since then at least once a year? Maybe he has dental needs that need addressing now too?:?
If that has been done, then he needs more groceries {food} to gain weight.
His nutritional needs have obviously changed if what you fed him then doesn't work now.
Maybe food for a senior aged horse as their digestion may not work quite at a optimum as a younger horse and sr. feed is made to accommodate the aging horses digestion needs.
If you want to add Cool Calories in addition to his feed/grain ration fed daily that is great...but to just feed Cool Calories, NO!

You do not help your horse by giving things like supplements when he needs basic feed products.
Save your money you spend on supplements and spend it on feed/grain.
Feed comes in 50 pound bags from near every manufacturer.
When you see or look at other "feeds" and they are in plastic tubs or weigh less...well, read the container/bag carefully and see those words "supplement"....this is not feed but a supplement to be fed with feed/grain not instead of it...
I do not know what manufacturers are in your region, but the 2 below are available all over the USA. Use a reputable company for your feed needs. They have knowledgeable support staff that can help you with any questions you may have a phone call or email away...
Here...are 2 different manufacturers links to feed products and what a bag of feed will describe..
Purina Horse Feeds - EQUINE FAMILY
Purina Horse Feeds - STRATEGY
Triple Crown Senior Horse Feed- Feed to All Ages, High Fat, Low Starch | Triple Crown Nutrition
Triple Crown Total Lifetime Care-A Horse Feed For All Ages. | Triple Crown Nutrition

Triple Crown happens to have available a conversion of pounds to quarts {which a cup is in the same type of measurement} so you feed appropriate amounts of food for the horse to get their daily nutritional requirements for weight gain, good health and vitality.

You obviously care...but need to understand that you must feed nutritional basics to have a healthy animal. Until you provide that kind of food, your horse will resemble what you now have...
And riding, should be done rarely till he regains his weight and health. He can't gain if you are riding the calories off his frame... he does as you ask. He is trying to please you.
Now ask him by not riding him to gain his weight.

jmo...

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Cut to the chase, forget the cool cals, the rice bran, etc. This horse is in need of nutrition. Find a QUALITY senior feed and follow the directions on the bag. Add to that3-5 pounds of alfalfa cubes twice a day, soaked. This is in addition to any hay and pasture he already gets. Have your vet do a fecal to check for worms, and get some probiotics started. I've done enough rescueing to know a starved horse when I see one. This guy may be eating, but he's not getting anything from it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A probiotic would not be out of order either.

Isn't there an old saying about it takes twice as long to put weight on that to lose it? So don't be in a hurry. do it right. I agree with the 2lbs of senior feed and some alfalfa cubes or perhaps pellets. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
How is the hay at night given, what state is the pasture in, is he stalled overnight?
If four horses have to share one bale, you want at least 5 piles of hay, spread out, so EVERYBODY gets a chance to eat. His teeth need to be checked and done. Fecal test and deworming according to what's there. Then, as was said, rice bran alone will not do anything but maybe throw vit/ min balance, if there is one, out of balance. A good senior feed, given according to manufacturer's suggestion, making sure pasture is adequate and he has a chance to EAT his hay at night and not just stare at it from a distance the others determine for him will for sure bring results.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Is there a way he can be separated from the others at least at night time so that he can have all the hay he wants? He really should have hay in front of him 24/7 at this point. If he is low man in the herd there is a good chance he is not getting his share of that bale (and how many lbs. is a bale?).

Agree also with vet check, teeth checked and fecal.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you haven't checked his teeth- that's where you have to start.

I am currently rehabbing a 19 year old (registered, so age correct) rescue pony, and she is gaining weight rapidly after getting a vet check, teeth floated, worming and shots.

She is on a diet of 3 flakes of mixed hay a day, with 9 pounds of Nutrena Senior Feed a day (divided into four feedings - 8 am, noon, 4 pm and 9 pm) with a top dressing of DAC oil. She also gets an hour or two a day of turnout into lush grass. She hears us coming at meal times and is nickering and calling at the gate.

If you feeding to put weight on, you have to exceed daily recommended feedings - just introduce slowly and make sure the feed is the right feed. I love the Nutrena Senior feed - it is a complete feed so very hard for horses to get hurt by overfeeding it - and dividing the feedings into multiple times a day, though a pain, is much better for their digestive systems and recovery.

Here is Snickers May 23, June 21, and June 26. Sorry the last one is fuzzy - she is under light work now to help rebuild the topline.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Another thing is worms, has he been wormed on a vet recommended rotation? Worms can do more than you think! I would definitely have a vet out to check him and discuss your options. Your vet should be able to recommend a feed schedule and help you figure out a good weight building plan :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would agree that this horse is thin enough that you should not be looking at supplements, but rather feeding a good senior/complete feed at the recommended amount (in addition to 24/7 good quality hay/forage) and increasing the feed to the max recommended for horse's size before adding other supplements like oils, rice bran or powdered fat supplements (ex: cool calories).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts