The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I struggling with my jumping and I’ve narrowed it down to a couple things, first my horse is jumping flat. I’ve heard gridwork is great but I want to establish flatwork for him. How do I get my horse into a bouncy, collected, but have his weight in his hind type canter?
He’s a 14.2 hh QHxWelsh so he is generally lazy and more payed back. also I do ride on spurs and whip

·
Registered
49,418 Posts
I don't know much about jumping, so I couldn't advise you about grids or such.

When I read that you are using spurs and a whip, and your horse is 'lazy', I think that you need to get him more forward to begin with, before giving any thought to having him more on 'his hind'.

What happens when you put your spurs on him? Does he suck back or does he surge forward? If the spurs work, then why have a whip? If the whip works, why spurs?
My experience is that a lot of horses come to really resent spurs if they are used too much. They should be used mostly for so-called 'refinement', meaning asking for lateral work, or a simple canter depart. But a horse can dull out quickly to them if the rider is constantly jabbing both in to his sides for every forward step,.

My old teacher would say that if the horse is dulled out so much that pressure on his hind makes him sull up and actually slow down, or threaten to buck , or pin his ears, that a person has to find another way to get him energized about going forward.

First of all, if all he does is run around in an arena, he will soon see no purpose in that. You can freshen his attitude a lot by doing trail rides and letting him have a nice, open gallop if he likes, perhaps with another horse.

Second, make sure you are not hanging on his mouth at the same time you are asking him to move out faster.

Third, try using a 'smack-smack' side to side hustle of the rein loop, on his shoulders, to smarten him up and awaken some energy. This often works to wake up a dull horse.

Fourth - Ditch the spurs . If you must smack him with a whip, make it matter, so he really leaps out, and then let him go. 'Tapping' is a sure road to dulling out some horses, if they are inclined to be lazy in the first place.

The Welsh pony I rode in childhood was hotter than a firecracker.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
The Welsh pony I rode in childhood was hotter than a firecracker.
Yeah, I've got a WelshxQH, and he is definitely on the hotter end of things.

Reactions: Foxhunter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I totally get what you mean with the whole spurs and whip thing. I recently started using spurs and have seen such a difference with reaction. I rarely use my whip when riding in spurs (I keep it insane of emergency). I do not jump or do just flatwork in my spurs and only use them when doing strict dressage (laterals) and warmup to jumping (WTC). We got over the lazy problem and I have him more forward and with more impulsion. I just feel he runs through my half haults or my contact and has this flat canter. When we are jumping his canter catches up to us and leaves us with rails or time faults.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts