The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt really training, but i am trying to "train" her legs.
So my horse is kept at my grandparents house, about 15 mins away from me. i cant go riding too often because i cant drive.
and the roads are supposed to be super icy this winter.

the farrier said i should consider riding her everyday, (because of her arthritus, and riding her would make her stronger.) which i totally would, but like i said, my mom doesant always want to drive me to my grandparents.:cry:
so what should i do??
(my grandma doesant ride often anymore, and no one i know will tack her up by herself. and i dont want to ride saddle too much, so she doesant get swayback.)
would she be ok without much riding through the winter?

Help please!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Riding your horse is not the only form of exercise and interaction you can offer - groundwork, such as lunging, or just taking your horse for a nice walk with a halter and her lead is an excellent for both of you to get out, exercise and enjoy each other's company. I take my horses for good long walks all the time, and especially in winter! We also have a super long driveway, and it's fun to walk down to get the mail together.... be creative, and don't just limit yourself to riding, or you'll miss out on other simple pleasures :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx!

Welcome to the forum! Riding your horse is not the only form of exercise and interaction you can offer - groundwork, such as lunging, or just taking your horse for a nice walk with a halter and her lead is an excellent for both of you to get out, exercise and enjoy each other's company. I take my horses for good long walks all the time, and especially in winter! We also have a super long driveway, and it's fun to walk down to get the mail together.... be creative, and don't just limit yourself to riding, or you'll miss out on other simple pleasures :)
Thank you so much!!! i will SO do that! i didnt even think of it!!! <3

Reactions: Northernstar

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:(

It sounds like your issue is getting to the barn?

Can you ride a bike to where your horse is or trade extra chores for rides?
Posted via Mobile Device
no, i cant :( i dont live in the country, there are lots of busy streets. i wish i could though, thanx for the ideas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.