The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm interested in letting my younger sister, who is 7, to start riding.
I'll be looking into a trainer who will give lessons as I am not a good enough rider to teach her correctly.
Any tips, tricks or anything would be greatly appreciated for me to make my sister safe and comfortable while riding.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Get her used to horses from the ground. Horses are very large animals and if she's not comfortable standing next to one and touching it, she will not be comfortable sitting on one's back, expected to control it.

Brushing, petting, or just being around one. You could try what we do at the summer camp I work at: take normal sidewalk chalk and wet it down, then draw on the horse. It's very fun (even I enjoy turning my mare's blaze bright blue). When it dries again, it brushes right off, so no worries about having an bizarrely colored horse.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Poseiden gave great advice.

Safety is number one. The child should respect the horse and learn how to interact safely with them. Kids like to dart under hooves and be unaware of how to walk in front of, next to, and behind a horse.

All of my little kids start off with 'horsemanship' lessons. They learn about where the horse can't see you, how to hold a lead rope, brushing, what the ears are 'saying' to you, etc before they ever mount.

When they do start riding, they spend a long time either on a lead rope or being walked until they can learn to balance. I would find a good instructor who is used to dealing with children and has a suitable horse for a beginner child.

Good for you for opening her to the world of horses!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.