The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a teal turnout blanket, not keeping in consideration the mud that will get on it when he decides to roll in the field...is there anything I can spray on it to help prevent mud stains?

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
Most of the re-proofing treatments will help repel stains but honestly, I really wouldn’t spend time worrying about it!
I wash outdoor blankets and reproof them at the end of the season and they come up clean.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about stains.
It happens, it's almost impossible to keep a blanket clean during the season. I just take mine to get cleaned before winter again & they look good as new.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Keep your stalls and pens picked clean of manure, and don't worry about the rest. Horse blankets will get filthy. Not much you can do about it.

Scotchguard can work, but it can also make the blanket less breathable, so be careful with it. You don't want your horse sweltering under a blanket that won't breathe.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The turnout blanket I have on my gelding ice is totally mud covered. Was mud covered last year also. It came clean this spring not a stain on it. I take my blankets to car was and use the hot water cycle on them. Really good water pressure and washes off all the dirt grim from fall/winter use. No soap just plain hot water.

After blankets are totally dry I spray the blanket water proofing stuff on them. I really don't worry about stains it just a horse blanket.

When I bring ice in to ride I take a brush to blanket to get the dried mud off....that is a daily thing.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Do you take them to a cleaner or to the laundromat?
Check with your laundromat, many do not allow horse blankets to be washed in their equipment. Here in OK, if they are going to allow you to wash the blankets, they have to have a dedicated washer(s) just for that. They are not allowed in "people washers". I have a lady who does a phenomenal job cleaning and repairing my blankets. It's not cheap, but she's worth every dime.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Do you take them to a cleaner or to the laundromat?

In my area we have a horse blanket cleaning service, it's like $20 & they wash it. It's really cool. Can also get it waterproofed if needed again & they do repairs, but I've heard of other people taking them to a laundromat. I guess it depends on who allows it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.