The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to show a 2 year old gelding named Simon in halter.I am a minor so I can not get a job.I live in Oregon and I do odd jobs but that is not a steady income and I am trying to get a show halter.The problem is is that they are so expensive.I would like to know if any one can point me in the direction of instructions to make my own halter.I am willing to go big because I am not going home!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I would imagine it would be a little difficult to make your own show halter from scratch. Once you buy a leather halter and the silver for it and stuff you would probably spending at least as much as a cheaper halter. Now not all show halters are hundreds of dollars. Tahoe makes very decent show halters for around $50. Now I know it can be hard to get money at such a young age, but there are ways of doing it. Can you do stuff around the house in agreement your parents will get you the halter? Or maybe ask for it as a present for your birthday or christmas?

This is the show halter I have and been very pleased with.
Silverado Series Silver Heart Halter with Lead

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
If you haven't the funds for a show halter, you can get away with a plain leather halter for the time being. Neat and clean is never marked down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I know my birthday is in December and then there is Christmas and they are far apart they do them different times :D. So i get a lot of money then.Thanks for your suggestions.I was planning to do a leather halter base and build off from that and if this does not work I am saving a little extra cash from the odd jobs. :D

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I think making your own halter is a great idea. It might make more sense to get a inexpensive halter that you can show in for now, and start researching leather and how to properly care for it and stitch it. There are some great learning sites on the internet, and there are also a lot of really great crafts persons here on HF. Yes, getting the proper tools and finding the kind of leather you want to work in will probably take some time, but you will be rewarded in the end. I do all my own tack repairs, and have saved a lot of money over the years by doing so. Also, it's a great hobby if you have that interest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think making your own halter is a great idea. It might make more sense to get a inexpensive halter that you can show in for now, and start researching leather and how to properly care for it and stitch it. There are some great learning sites on the internet, and there are also a lot of really great crafts persons here on HF. Yes, getting the proper tools and finding the kind of leather you want to work in will probably take some time, but you will be rewarded in the end. I do all my own tack repairs, and have saved a lot of money over the years by doing so. Also, it's a great hobby if you have that interest. wisperbaby22
I want to do that so badly, in the summertime is when I plan to make it so I do not have to worry about school.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Great. Start checking out the Tandy company for your tools. They have a pretty good collection, and you can start getting a feeling for what it's going to cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.