The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that both my Paint and my Tennessee Walker gelding have had really thin manes, and both of them had beautiful long manes before. I looked out the window a couple of days ago and found out why. My donkey has been chewing their manes, which makes sense because the problem started a few weeks after I got him. He has not been castrated, which may be some of the problem because he does not respond to bad tasting sprays or anything I put on the manes. I'm planning on getting him castrated in two weeks when the vet comes for yearly shots. Hopefully the problem will go away, but how do I get the manes to regrow faster? I absolutely love full manes. Their nutrition and diet is great and they are both healthy, I'm just looking for a supplement or something to put on the manes to make it grow faster than it naturally would. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
55 Posts
You could use MTG Mane and Tail to help their manes grow Shapley's Original M-T-G (Mane-Tail-Groom), 32 fl. oz. - Tractor Supply Co.

Like Mustangs in BLM pens, he's probably chewing on their manes because he's bored. Once he's got something to do, he won't chew on their manes as much, if at all. But if he has something to do, you could try separating him (if you can) from your horses and give him a jolly ball, Likit, or something to keep him occupied while he's not working.
If you can't separate him, you could use a grazing muzzle so he can't chew their manes. Don't leave it on 24/7 as it may rub on his face.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts