The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I need ideas how to make money so I can start leasing the horse I am riding hes up for lease and I wanna lease him. Mom/dad said if I where to do that I would need to pay for it myself so I agreed. There already gona help with lessons/shows so thats not a prob even though I can use the money I got for that but they will help out.
I am trying to look for a job. But have yet to find a job. I know I am working at another horse camp next summer. I babysit and I do dog sitting but I haven't had any jobs in a while. My neighbor offered to pay me to rake leaves she has a huge yard.

Any other ideas I have applied everywhere but its really hard to get a job right now with this econemy.:-x

·
Registered
673 Posts
I got my first job at 19 using www.officeteam.com

It's a staffing agency so you would interview with them and they would assign you someplace to work. Fill out the online application, submit your resume if needed (I can't remember if they require it) and they will call you to schedule your interview.

What are your marketable skills?

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my first job at 19 using www.officeteam.com

It's a staffing agency so you would interview with them and they would assign you someplace to work. Fill out the online application, submit your resume if needed (I can't remember if they require it) and they will call you to schedule your interview.

What are your marketable skills?
I am good at computers data entry, I worked as a receptionist for a long time but as long as it doesn't require me to work when I am at school then its good.

And as long as I don't need to tavel as I said, my parents are gonna be taking me an they already work full time I need to work some place where I can work evening hours or morning hours where I won't have to much hours due to school.
:)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check out the job board at your school. Go to McDonald's, Wendy's, gocery stores, 7-11, Starbucks, resturants, bars. Actually I recommend resturants as they are busiest at night so it would work with your schedule.

You could still try for a part time receptionist job that works with your work schedule. You're limiting yourself by not having your own means of transportation. I did not, and still do not see anywhere in your OP that says you need your parents to drive you. Can you not get a car? Check out what public transporation is available.

I strongly encourage you to become more independent from your parents. I saw that you just turned 21, Happy Birthday! At this point in your life though, you don't need your parents permission to lease a horse. You can do whatever you want, if you have the money to pay for it. You really should figure out transportation other than your parents. A car is more vital to your life than a horse is. How would you go see the horse if you have to wait for your parents to drive you?

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out the job board at your school. Go to McDonald's, Wendy's, gocery stores, 7-11, Starbucks, resturants, bars. Actually I recommend resturants as they are busiest at night so it would work with your schedule.

You could still try for a part time receptionist job that works with your work schedule. You're limiting yourself by not having your own means of transportation. I did not, and still do not see anywhere in your OP that says you need your parents to drive you. Can you not get a car? Check out what public transporation is available.

I strongly encourage you to become more independent from your parents. I saw that you just turned 21, Happy Birthday! At this point in your life though, you don't need your parents permission to lease a horse. You can do whatever you want, if you have the money to pay for it. You really should figure out transportation other than your parents. A car is more vital to your life than a horse is. How would you go see the horse if you have to wait for your parents to drive you?

I don't have my lisense. Its a very long story and I really don't feel like exsplaining that. I don't have the money to pay for a lease and yes I do need permission since I live in there house hold. I have a car but no lisense.
I don't want to work somewhere where I have to work late nights. Here in our little town we don't have any busses except in the downtown which is an hr away.

I already checked out the board at my school. I have applied at restraunts. I am going to try to apply at some more today but i am applying mostly at child care and I have talked with someone at a facility that says that they are hireing part time that could work with my school scedule.:wink:

And the lease is $175.00 a month includes 1 lesson. So I would only go the days that I do a lesson and then I would go ride when I can but I have to keep up my studies in school which is hard because I have already failed one math test

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Get your license. Trust me. I didn't get mine until I was 20 and I wish I had not waited that long. It will do so much for your independence which is going to help you so much. Before I could drive I didn't do anything. Once I could I got two jobs, started riding again and now I'm leasing a horse. I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but being able to drive will really help you out. What are you going to do if someone wants you to come in for an interview and it's at a time when your parents aren't available to take you? You could miss out on that job. Also, your hours would be more flexible if you could drive yourself so you'd have more job options. You really should reconsider learning to drive.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Get your license. Trust me. I didn't get mine until I was 20 and I wish I had not waited that long. It will do so much for your independence which is going to help you so much. Before I could drive I didn't do anything. Once I could I got two jobs, started riding again and now I'm leasing a horse. I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but being able to drive will really help you out. What are you going to do if someone wants you to come in for an interview and it's at a time when your parents aren't available to take you? You could miss out on that job. Also, your hours would be more flexible if you could drive yourself so you'd have more job options. You really should reconsider learning to drive.

Its not that I haven't considered driving. I have I went to driving school etc. But I was in a BAD car accident and I am scared to drive. I do not have to worry about my mom not being able to take me for an interview :) I goto school from 12:50-3:40 so the interviews could be sceduled in the morning and mom doesn't do much so she is willing to take me not a PROB. :)
My dad works his own buisness so he can't take me. But mom takes me to the places that I need to get to.

I can't work on the weekends well when I say weekends I mean Sundays. I need that day to study for school do school work goto Church etc. If I had a car yes I would be able to work some places without mom/dad telling me I cant work there etc. I wish I can drive and I am worrking on getting my lisense. But once I get it I need at least 6 months to a year of dirivng with my parents so I can drive on my own. My parents won't just let me drive on my own once I get my lisense.
I need experience and well without a lisense I dont have experience. =/ Thats how teenagers get into accidents because parents let them drive right away once they get there lisense. My parents ARE smart and good parents and say that I need to drive for a little while with them before I drive on my own and if I need to I can drive to the store or to get something to eat. Now I can drive myself to school but its 15 minutes away and well I need experience driving so I am gonna get to it and get my lisense.
I just feel preasured to getting it when I was in a car accident I almost died and I just feel scared.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd recommend working at your barn (that is, if you board/ride elsewhere). That way you can do everything all in one; you won't have to be driven to separate places and will be able to be around horses.

Other than that, my suggestion is freelance. I started my own freelance company as soon as I turned 18 and do freelance graphic design work--I sell websites, am an event photographer, and a writer. The hard part is is that you can't develop these skills overnight and by using google--I've been doing graphic design since 2004 and then graduated and started going to university this year for it.
However if you already have some of those skills it's something to consider :)

Websites like Hubpages pay you according to the number of pageviews/adsense clicks your articles get, if you're into writing.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd recommend working at your barn (that is, if you board/ride elsewhere). That way you can do everything all in one; you won't have to be driven to separate places and will be able to be around horses.

Other than that, my suggestion is freelance. I started my own freelance company as soon as I turned 18 and do freelance graphic design work--I sell websites, am an event photographer, and a writer. The hard part is is that you can't develop these skills overnight and by using google--I've been doing graphic design since 2004 and then graduated and started going to university this year for it.
However if you already have some of those skills it's something to consider :)

Websites like Hubpages pay you according to the number of pageviews/adsense clicks your articles get, if you're into writing.

I don't know if I can work at my barn. I may be able to do that I didn't think about that. I will need to talk with my mom about that.:D

my boyfriend is a freelance photographer.

Tyler Lyons Photography

Thats his photography website. :)
Hes getting better and better everyday. I may talk with my Trainer of course I don't board a horse I dont board my horse anymore but I could work off pay and stuff for leasing. I dont know the barn is pretty small to have me work and she already has barn hands.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my boyfriend is a freelance photographer.

Tyler Lyons Photography

Thats his photography website. :)
Very cool, he has a nice site :) haha... get him to teach you! Ah, he probably has enough competition already.

Yah, I know what you mean, but it's worth a shot just to make sure you've overturned every stone. Who knows, even if the barn owner doesn't have a spot for you now, maybe she'll remember you're willing to work and will consider you in the future.

One other thing I did was tutoring. I met a family at my barn who had a 12 year old, and I'd tutor her for about 2 hours while her mum was riding. And it pays really well too ^_^

What about braiding? Are you good at braiding, clipping, grooming, etc? Show people will hire you if you have good rates and experience. Unfortunately it can be a bit of driving but if you can at least do it for a few people around your barn that'll be a few extra $$.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think you're missing the point I was trying to make. You are legally an adult. You can do whatever you want, including leasing a horse and getting a license. Your parents can TRY to control you, but you don't have to do anything they say. You can move out. I am not saying to disrespect your parents, far from it. But I am saying that you, as an adult, need to live your own life, which includes figuring out transportation. You can't live your whole life with your parents driving you. I understand that you are tramatized with driving, you may want to consider therapy to get over that. I cannot say it enough how inportant it is to be able to get around. It will help you out so much in your life. You can get a better job, and because of that, get your lease, or even own a horse. You will be able to afford the things you want.

I also noticed that you say you won't work on weekends/sunday. That will limit you greatly in getting a part time job, as most part time jobs are on weekends and nights because that is when customers visit those places.

I think you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot with your scheduling and transportation limitations. :( Employers don't want employees that are so high maintenance.

NinthHeroine's suggestion of freelance was good.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cool, he has a nice site :) haha... get him to teach you! Ah, he probably has enough competition already.

Yah, I know what you mean, but it's worth a shot just to make sure you've overturned every stone. Who knows, even if the barn owner doesn't have a spot for you now, maybe she'll remember you're willing to work and will consider you in the future.

One other thing I did was tutoring. I met a family at my barn who had a 12 year old, and I'd tutor her for about 2 hours while her mum was riding. And it pays really well too ^_^

What about braiding? Are you good at braiding, clipping, grooming, etc? Show people will hire you if you have good rates and experience. Unfortunately it can be a bit of driving but if you can at least do it for a few people around your barn that'll be a few extra $$.

Yeah me and him are taking a photography class together when we goto university together :) Were in community college right now getting our basics.
I dont know much about braiding but I can probably learn how :) I will need to practice for a while.

And I asked mom about the working at the barn thing she said, its worth a try to talk about so maybe I can do that. :) I will see I have a chance to work at a daycare and I work on Saturday nights doing child care at my church so i am making $24.00 dollars every other Saturday thats a little money.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think you're missing the point I was trying to make. You are legally an adult. You can do whatever you want, including leasing a horse and getting a license. Your parents can TRY to control you, but you don't have to do anything they say. You can move out. I am not saying to disrespect your parents, far from it. But I am saying that you, as an adult, need to live your own life, which includes figuring out transportation. You can't live your whole life with your parents driving you. I understand that you are tramatized with driving, you may want to consider therapy to get over that. I cannot say it enough how inportant it is to be able to get around. It will help you out so much in your life. You can get a better job, and because of that, get your lease, or even own a horse. You will be able to afford the things you want.

I also noticed that you say you won't work on weekends/sunday. That will limit you greatly in getting a part time job, as most part time jobs are on weekends and nights because that is when customers visit those places.

I think you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot with your scheduling and transportation limitations. :( Employers don't want employees that are so high maintenance.

NinthHeroine's suggestion of freelance was good.
Ptvintage: My parents are not trying to control me at the very least.:wink: I own a horse I have owned a horse she can no longer be ridden when I had a job I payed for everything most of everything but my parents paid until I was 18 years old.
They never said, I could not GET a horse or lease a horse. they said, unless I have a job where I can pay for it then no I cannot which there for I need a job to get what I want.
They aren't trying to control me they are very loving parents and do stuff for me when I need them. They already do stuff for me and I am very considerate of when they can do stuff for me.

Sundays are not GOOD for me I have church I work on Sunday eves at my church and its just not good for me. I also spend time with my boyfriend when I don't work on Sundays and spend that quality time studying for up coming tests etc.
Its just not in the cards for me. My friend who works at Old-Navy doesn't work on Sundays.

Now if I work in Child care at a day care center which I am hoping for a job for isn't open on Saturdays/Sundays so thats good. OR maybe even Chic-Fila I have applied there 6 times already.

I do understand you Ptvintage.

I am def not high maintance I am just saying I am very low on places I can work at I agree with you I wish I could apply at some places at the mall.

I am most def getting my lisense as soon as I can I have just haven't had a lot of time since school started I do want to be able to drive myself. My parents think its a good idea to get my lisense. And fyi I don't let my parents control me. Most def not :) I try to do as what they say since I live in there household.
I don't want to move out. I am leaving for university next August and well I am gonna live on Campus and come home on the weekends. Try to work at the school or maybe somewhere around there.
My boyfriend is going with me so he can easily give me a lift If I don't have a drivers lisense which most def am gonna try :)
I am working as a camp counselor next Summer so that will make some money.. Then I can try and get a better job while I am in school.

Mom and dad are letting me apply everywhere thats 5-15 minutes away which thankfully I can apply for jobs as a hostess at restraunts. Which I am considering. Not a bartender or a waitress not good at counting money or doing money.
thats why I don't want to work a cash register. I have applied at Star-Bucks but they stopped hireing after I applied which I was upset about I will go and apply once again. I tried applying at the one at Target but they didn't have the online app or in person.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want a job at a daycare. Thats where I am majoring in Childhood Developement and well some places require a degree a lot of places don't I want to work in a Daycare for about 1-2 years at least then work in a school disttrict where I can work with children who have down syndrome.

My parents think its very importantt for me to have a carrier and I agree and they won't always be my ride I agree with you there. BUT for now they are until I get my lisense ;)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You have been given a TON of good advice in this thread. However, you seem to be shooting everything down. Why ask for advice if you aren't going to take it?

I personally think you need to just get your license and find a job. You aren't going to get anywhere by limiting yourself so much. Trust me, it took me a while to figure it out also!

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have been given a TON of good advice in this thread. However, you seem to be shooting everything down. Why ask for advice if you aren't going to take it?

I personally think you need to just get your license and find a job. You aren't going to get anywhere by limiting yourself so much. Trust me, it took me a while to figure it out also!
I am def not shooting it down. I am more like exsplaining myself I have a good reason for not wanting a lisense. And I been trying to find a job for a very long time. I been applying everywhere but am limited since I don't drive.
I won't even be able to drive myself as soon as I get a car. :oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts