The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started giving my gelding a supplement in grain like form and sand clear(Only feeding it for 6 more days). He likes the supplement but hates the sand clear. I have been chopping up an apple and mixing it in well but he's still not a fan. I am wondering if there is anything I can put in this to make it more appetizing. He is on a 0 sugar diet(No grain), hates mulases and sirup. I am about 40 miles from my closest feed store so keep than in mind. Thanks!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Are you feeding it with any other feed? If so you could add some water and make it into a mush so it's all combined together.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Amigoboy, that would get very old very fast doing it every single day for a week... and probably cause the horse to eventually evade having its mouth touched.

If the horse doesn't like molasses, what about applesauce? You can get unsweetened applesauce at the store. Or hay pellet mash? Just soak a few handfuls of pellets and mix the sandclear with it.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I'd mix it up with his feed and make a mash. The unsweetened applesauce added usually gets most of them eating it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I hide stuff in the soaked beet pulp and have had no problems with my horses eating every morsel.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have thought about the mint, I'll see if my local store has some in the baking section. If I make it into a mush he just gives up and doesn't eat it cause he knows he cant push the sand clear aside. Sand clear is fed by the cup so I would have to re fill the syringe like four time and also I have given him bute+mulases via syringe to him before and it caused my problems training wise, and he now hates mulases. franknbeans as I said in the thread "He hates mulases"! I used to give him bute in apple cause so I'm not sure if he would like that but I'll try! Getting to a feed store to buy pallet mash or beet pulp is quite a hassle so sticking to things I can buy in the grocery store is a must.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I'd be careful about adding liquid to the sand clear. It turns to gel in the presence of liquid to lift the sand and carry it out of the GI tract. Adding liquid pre-feeding might make it turn to gel early, and then it really isn't pleasant to eat. I know this only based on human psyllium supplements, left a bit in the glass of water too long before drinking it. Yuck!
But I am not sure if the pellets would react the same way as the powder?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
You said he doesn't like Molasses, what about blue agave? its kinda like molasses but has less sugar in it, maybe he wont associate it with the bute and like it? Thats what I used on my horses grain when I had to put bitter chinese herbs on it! Some horses like yogurt, could try that, my horse RAN from yogurt though..he also ran from applesauce...hes weird.

·
Administrator
35,694 Posts
Try grating apples, carrots add anything else he likes - like horse treats broken up in smallish pieces and mix in with some bran and a handful of one of the smaller pelleted feeds - like grass pellets and just enough apple juice to damp it without affecting the sand clear

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure the pallets would turn to jell, another reason why making it into a mush would not work. I'll get some blue agave thanks! It seams like if I grate up an apple(Or two)he eats most of it pretty quickly but he gets board of things pretty quick haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts