The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have been riding for 4 years and just started jumping around 8 months ago. Now I am jumping, the pony I ride crow hops frequently, and while jumping he kicks out. After almost every jump I fall forward onto his neck. I jump a maximum of 2"6 but he kicks out over anything he has to lift his legs over. This causes me to fall forward a lot. I am quite a beginner and I don't feel safe on the pony, the last time I told my trainer I was scared to do anything in that case it was too canter we ended up doing it on a lunge only for over 2 years. What should I do?

·
Registered
50,053 Posts
oh, to me that sounds as if something that is physically required of the pony when he jumps, versus flat riding, causes him pain. If the pony is yours, you might consider investigating if he has a sore back or hocks or ? is he elderly?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I wouldn't jump this pony without it having a physical check up. What if he's got sore hocks and this is his way of landing and saying ouch? Maybe he has a sore back? When was his saddle last checked etc? How old is he (has he been ragged?) Lots of horses love jumping so I'd try find another one or a different yard maybe than push this. It's no good for your confidence either.

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
How is he when others jump him? What is their form like over jumps? May not be the pony. Consider all points made but don't rule out you being part of the problem. I've seen horses that throw some riders over fences time and again but put a different rider on and you see a different horse.

As for what to do - go back to the lowest level there is no issue and work on basics until you have that down solid. I wouldn't be jumping 2.6 after 8 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How is he when others jump him? What is their form like over jumps? May not be the pony. Consider all points made but don't rule out you being part of the problem. I've seen horses that throw some riders over fences time and again but put a different rider on and you see a different horse.

My trainer rides him sometimes and he is usually perfect for her. It's most likely something I'm doing but I don't know what. We have only jumped him over 2"6 a few times we don't jump high very often

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't jump this pony without it having a physical check-up. What if he's got sore hocks and this is his way of landing and saying ouch? Maybe he has a sore back? When was his saddle last checked etc? How old is he (has he been ragged?) Lots of horses love jumping so I'd try to find another one or a different yard maybe then push this. It's no good for your confidence either.

he's fine when my trainer rides him, the saddle that he is in was custom made to his back. It's checked every 6 months and was checked just over 2 months ago. He is about 14 years old, sadly we have no other barns near us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, to me that sounds as if something that is physically required of the pony when he jumps, versus flat riding, causes him pain. If the pony is yours, you might consider investigating if he has a sore back or hocks or ? is he elderly?

He is fine when my trainer rides him and his saddle was custom made for him and we get it checked every 6 months. He is 14 years old.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Make sure you're release is smooth and you don't pull on him at any point or flop down on his back. I would bet you are doing one of those things wich is anoying him into kicking out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, that helps to settle things. Then, something that you are doing is irritating him bigtime. what does your instructor say about all this?

Sometimes everything is fine but if he's kicking out a lot she usually gets on him. Today he didn't get out at all and was perfect over 2 foot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts