The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I posted this under wrong subforum.

So. I've got a nice european bloodlined dressage colt and I dont know how to price him.

He's born in 2015, May.
His father is Glock's Toto Jr. (out of Totilas --> Gribaldi)
siresdamsire: Desperados (out of De Niro --> Donnerhall)
Damsire Olivi (out of Jazz --> Cocktail)
damdamsire: Havidoff
damdamdamsire: Belisar

Full bedigree: Kaliber Dp Kwpn

Not a very good video of him but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxfpPClzucI

Few pictures:

So, what do you think, how much can I ask for him sold as a foal?

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
I have no idea..but to be honest he is so horribly deformed, that I would hide him in a large bag and send him up here, he could live his life in teh relatively obscurity of the Prairies!

No seriously nice looking boy, I'm guessing you are better placed to price him than us, well me anyway, you know what you have into the mare and the breeding, also you are able to check your local markets.

You could also check https://www.warmblood-sales.com/Sea...hPrice=101&lPrice=100000000&State=%&Country=%

If that link doesn't work go here https://www.warmblood-sales.com/

choose the advanced search option and choose 2015 for earliest and latest foaling year, will get you some comparables

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
It's hard to say on weanlings. A lot of it is based on location and who you know. I've met VERY few people willing to travel for a weanling, so mostly local or regional clientele. I've known some bigger breeders who don't seem to have a problem selling weanlings or yearlings because they have a name and people know to check out their place if they're in the market, so sometimes they can ask more money because the people have it and are willing to spend it. But I will say if he's in the states I'd guess around 10-12k. But I'd check out what foals of similar quality are going for in your area and more importantly what they're selling for. How'd he place at inspection? That can help indicate price or if he hasn't been inspected you can ask the inspector, they'll sometimes give you an idea.

He's a nice colt, he looks pretty cheeky at this stage. He is quite well bred. Jazz has a reputation for producing talent, maybe not ridability but capability. He has a pretty nice walk and trot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
He is quite the little mover! Wow! I have been furiously shopping for a weanling this year and from what I've seen 12-14K (CAD, that is) will give you a relatively quick sale on a nice, well bred foal. Anything 15K+ should be pretty dang spectacular or have some seriously sought after bloodlines, imo.

I would price him around 14-15K CAD (and be negotiable) knowing my local market if he were mine. I was looking at purchasing a Tolegro colt, from a very well known fairly local breeder, who was out of a mare that has proven her ability to produce (her last colt was top 4 in the North American KWPN inspections - who sold for 15K I believe, for reference). That breeder wanted 14K CAD. I offered her 12,5K and she's still sitting on him...then I went to vet a San Amour X Radjah Z colt for 13K (breeder wanted 14K). He's one spectacular creature (who was going to be my FEI prospect) who sadly did not pass his check.

I have found that the Totilas/Grand-Totilas foals don't go for as much as you would expect. A recent CWB auction near me had 2 Totilas babies, the colt sold for 6800 and the filly 12,500. People don't seem to be paying a whole lot for the youngsters. I think since the lineage is still fairly unproven people are shying away from them a bit with not knowing what to expect. I know that's why I wasn't going to fork over the money for that Tolegro colt.

Either way, spectacular colt with lovely breeding. Check out sales sites, warmblood-sales.com is a good start, to see what your local market is. Good luck on his sale - someone will be lucky to have him!!

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
He is quite the little mover! Wow! I have been furiously shopping for a weanling this year and from what I've seen 12-14K (CAD, that is) will give you a relatively quick sale on a nice, well bred foal. Anything 15K+ should be pretty dang spectacular or have some seriously sought after bloodlines, imo.

I would price him around 14-15K CAD (and be negotiable) knowing my local market if he were mine. I was looking at purchasing a Tolegro colt, from a very well known fairly local breeder, who was out of a mare that has proven her ability to produce (her last colt was top 4 in the North American KWPN inspections - who sold for 15K I believe, for reference). That breeder wanted 14K CAD. I offered her 12,5K and she's still sitting on him...then I went to vet a San Amour X Radjah Z colt for 13K (breeder wanted 14K). He's one spectacular creature (who was going to be my FEI prospect) who sadly did not pass his check.

I have found that the Totilas/Grand-Totilas foals don't go for as much as you would expect. A recent CWB auction near me had 2 Totilas babies, the colt sold for 6800 and the filly 12,500. People don't seem to be paying a whole lot for the youngsters. I think since the lineage is still fairly unproven people are shying away from them a bit with not knowing what to expect. I know that's why I wasn't going to fork over the money for that Tolegro colt.

Either way, spectacular colt with lovely breeding. Check out sales sites, warmblood-sales.com is a good start, to see what your local market is. Good luck on his sale - someone will be lucky to have him!!
Just curious as such a young age, what was wrong with colt that didn't pass ppe? At such a young age i want to know what would show up so early?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just curious as such a young age, what was wrong with colt that didn't pass ppe? At such a young age i want to know what would show up so early?
He was diagnosed with a grade 4/6 heart murmur. Though the vet wasn't horrified by the finding I decided I wasn't prepared to take the risk. You can also find OCD/OC lesions developing in the joints by that age too, however an absence of them doesn't mean they won't show up at a later age (this colt had clean x-rays but was very large and the vet indicated the risk of it in the future). I have a whole thread on it in the 'Horse Talk' section :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.