The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been looking at " for sale" horses on websites.

Many of them have awful sale photos and sometimes you can't even see the horse very well.

So I have a big big pet peeve on horse sale photos even if they are bad quality, someone needs to take the angles well for goodness sakes!!

Others have very poor descriptions of the horse, often misspelled or incoherent.

I found this article on how to take good sale pictures, and yeah I agree totally!! For me I like a light cloudy day where the sun doesn't cast any shadows on the horse.

And I love the ads that say what the horse is good at but something to look out for.
One ad I looked at had awful pictures but said " gentle but nervous" and I really appreciate that.

What are other member's thoughts on how to write sale ads and produce the best photos to improve chances of selling?

MOD NOTE (@jaydee)
PLEASE - Do not post any examples of other people's sales ads

· Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,960 Posts
You only get once shot at making a first impression, so why not make it a good one? Sadly, there are folks that no matter how hard they try, will never understand how to take a good horse pic.
Taking horse pics is NOT EASY! Oh sure, you can take snap shots all day long, and you might get lucky once. But to take a honest to goodness GOOD pic can be tough.
Horses are hard to photograph and have them turn out like you want. So many different angles, and the length of their body can be soooo deceiving!

People should not be afraid to ask for help when taking horse pics. Don't use "assume" you can do it. Chances are, you can't.
That's the beauty of digital cameras! You can take thousands of pics and not have to pay for film or processing! Then if you don't like any of them, you can delete them and go take another thousand!

Another problem is there really are horses that are NOT photogenic just as there are people! I had a young stallion back years ago, and I took a LOT of pics of him. Not a single one showed him as he actually was. You can make an ugly horse look good in pics, if you know how. But for a good horse that is not photogenic, it's frustrating!

Know what you want to achieve, study the pic on how it was set up, and get out there and start clicking away!

· Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You only get once shot at making a first impression, so why not make it a good one? Sadly, there are folks that no matter how hard they try, will never understand how to take a good horse pic.
Taking horse pics is NOT EASY! Oh sure, you can take snap shots all day long, and you might get lucky once. But to take a honest to goodness GOOD pic can be tough.
Horses are hard to photograph and have them turn out like you want. So many different angles, and the length of their body can be soooo deceiving!

People should not be afraid to ask for help when taking horse pics. Don't use "assume" you can do it. Chances are, you can't.
That's the beauty of digital cameras! You can take thousands of pics and not have to pay for film or processing! Then if you don't like any of them, you can delete them and go take another thousand!

Another problem is there really are horses that are NOT photogenic just as there are people! I had a young stallion back years ago, and I took a LOT of pics of him. Not a single one showed him as he actually was. You can make an ugly horse look good in pics, if you know how. But for a good horse that is not photogenic, it's frustrating!

Know what you want to achieve, study the pic on how it was set up, and get out there and start clicking away!
Yes good horse pictures are really hard to get. The only really really good horse pic that I ever got was this one, and it was literally totally accidental!! LOL I was just trying to get a pic of Castillo in the creek and saw Ginger walking to the pond and got this beauty!
I know I may have already show this picture waay too many times but it is so nice!! 😅😅😅
Horse Plant Ecoregion Liver Working animal

I wonder if blurring the background or something like that would make a better sale picture...

· Registered
1,066 Posts
What are other member's thoughts on how to write sale ads and produce the best photos to improve chances of selling?

. A nice confo shot, I like to see four legs, feet not hidden in tall grass or whatever. Or a picture of them being ridden (if they are not a foal/young horse) That will draw me in, but the clincher is video. A horse can sure look pretty just standing there in a photo, but movement under saddle and at liberty is where it's at for me.

· Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes good horse pictures are really hard to get. The only really really good horse pic that I ever got was this one, and it was literally totally accidental!! LOL I was just trying to get a pic of Castillo in the creek and saw Ginger walking to the pond and got this beauty!
I know I may have already show this picture waay too many times but it is so nice!!
In terms of a sale picture, the one you posted would NOT make a good one. At least, that's my opinion of it if I were a buyer. I can't see anything about the horse's conformation. Picture might be "pretty" but not a sale photo.

I want to see a nice side profile of the horse, standing square. I don't care what the background is - I want to see the horse.
Front view and back view photos are nice but not necessary.
I also like to see a nice sale VIDEO. Seeing the horse move at a walk, trot, canter from a side view (both directions) as well as the horse coming at the camera, and leaving the camera. You can see how their legs swing/move that way.

I do agree that people post some awful photos.....

· Premium Member
10,681 Posts
Use clear, direct language, not a bunch of expressions that mean different things to different people. Be completely honest - I see more people replying to honest ads than ads that are cryptic or, even worse. pretend the horse is perfect. Also, I hate ads that don't list a price. Very annoying. I don't know why the secrecy. If I'm horse shopping, I want to know that the horse is at least in my ballpark. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time and the seller's.

I agree that clear photos taken straight on with a good camera (hire a photographer if you have to, but do it right) make a huge difference. Not cute photos, actual conformation photos with someone holding the horse square. I take a lot of good pictures of my horses, but few of them I would consider conformation shots. And videos to show the horse's movement.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Taking horse photos is different. I'm not sure hiring a photographer is a great solution unless they are horsey or at least take animal pics of some sort.

I used to go to the races alot and take dozens of pics (if we had digital back then it would have been hundreds) and when I got them back there might be two decent ones, not even great!

So what I learnt is whatever is large on your horse will stand out. Meaning, if he has a large rump or a book head the photo will accentuate that. To reduce that effect slightly angle the photo the other way. For the large rump be a bit nearer the head, and vice versa.

That's a really nice pic @Zimalia and not an easy angle, getting it slightly from the shoulder rather than directly head on is perfect, he doesn't look all head.

It is quite hard to get a good photo of a horse with a scrawny neck, for those I tend to have them turn their head towards me a bit to reduce emphasis on the neck. Though I tend not to bother these days!!

The best way to get better is take lots of pics. And actually look at the bad ones to see where it could be better. We have the advantage of digital now, so instant recall and you can take more straight away if you need to. No waiting 5 days for film to be developed!!

Hope this helps someone.

· Registered
1 TB mare & 1 Arab x Stock Horse, both alpha mares (what fun :) ). Dolly's sweet & Aya's sour.
537 Posts
I know for a lot of horse sale sites, the more photos you have, the more expensive it is, but an ideal ad for me would include the following: conformation shots from both sides, rump, and chest views; some ridden photos, for example, if they were a jumper, some jumping photos, if they were an xc horse, some xc photos; video of the horse doing whatever it's being sold for; an honest descripion of the horse, clearly stating any issues, behavioural or physical, and including what rider level they are suitable for (if a ridden horse). Correct spelling and grammar are very important in my opinion, almost none of the horse ads I see have this, which makes it look like the seller wrote it quickly and didn't really care - that's how it seems to me, anyway.
Hope that helps. BTW: are you thinking of buying or selling a horse 😉?

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

. A nice confo shot, I like to see four legs, feet not hidden in tall grass or whatever. Or a picture of them being ridden (if they are not a foal/young horse) That will draw me in, but the clincher is video. A horse can sure look pretty just standing there in a photo, but movement under saddle and at liberty is where it's at for me.
For me a video is nice if they don't take too long. There is this horse website that I absolutely love, but they have around 30 pictures of each horse and for each horse a 13-20 minute long video. Waaaay to long for me!! I would use 10 or so good pictures and a 5 minute video - ish and in that range depending on the horses skills, age and size. For a weanling or a yearling or 2 year old, I would show some conf. shots and a little video showing off their groundwork skills which of course includes leading. For a advertised to ride horse I would show some groundwork and some riding. In the video.

Reactions: Palfrey

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please don't post a picture of a horse for sale and the horse is wearing a blanket
LOL yeah. What use is that!?? Some ads show a horse with blanket, w/ a rider, w/ a saddle and or a rider, but never " naked". What are they trying to hide? Bad back? Saddle marks??

· Registered
7,454 Posts
A particular peeve of mine is when people make big claims about a horse's capabilities/past and then just expect you to trust them. Oh it jumps 5 foot? Show me! It does 1-time tempis? SHOW ME! If it's showing at a level where its competition record is proof, that's grand, tell me its show name and what it's won. If you're going to make a claim, back it up, or I'll assume you're lying.

The last time I was horse hunting (just over 7 years ago) I waded through literally hundreds of horse ads and every time I encountered a lofty claim that wasn't backed up with photos/video, I wrote that horse and seller off and moved on. I only had a small budget, and I knew I was looking for an ottb that likely hadn't done much since racing because of it, and for some reason, probably 50% of ottb ads at the time claimed the horse had jumped a reasonable or even large height (1m, 1.20, 1.50) but all the photos were of it flinging itself over maybe 50cm with horrendously hanging knees, photos of what I expected to buy - a GREEN jumper that needed to be brought on.
I would have looked at those horses if the sellers had said "has jumped but is green". Maybe I would have even bought one of them. Who knows? But as soon as I suspect a person might be lying about what their horse has done, I'm going to wonder what else they're lying about.

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In terms of a sale picture, the one you posted would NOT make a good one. At least, that's my opinion of it if I were a buyer. I can't see anything about the horse's conformation. Picture might be "pretty" but not a sale photo.

I want to see a nice side profile of the horse, standing square. I don't care what the background is - I want to see the horse.
Front view and back view photos are nice but not necessary.
I also like to see a nice sale VIDEO. Seeing the horse move at a walk, trot, canter from a side view (both directions) as well as the horse coming at the camera, and leaving the camera. You can see how their legs swing/move that way.

I do agree that people post some awful photos.....
@beau159 yes I know that. I was just posting that because I was talking about good pictures, not necessarily sale photos. Oh yes I sure do too! I love a good side profile but is so hard to get one! If you get too bad of an angle the horse has too short of a back, too long, too narrow withers, it you get the angle too up high or down low the horse is too small or big. So hard to get a good pic! I do care what the background is, if it is a nice background and blurred that is focusing on the horse that is nice but if there are cars, dogs, farm implements or things like that cluttering the background then that take attention off the horse.

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Use clear, direct language, not a bunch of expressions that mean different things to different people. Be completely honest - I see more people replying to honest ads than ads that are cryptic or, even worse. pretend the horse is perfect. Also, I hate ads that don't list a price. Very annoying. I don't know why the secrecy. If I'm horse shopping, I want to know that the horse is at least in my ballpark. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time and the seller's.

I agree that clear photos taken straight on with a good camera (hire a photographer if you have to, but do it right) make a huge difference. Not cute photos, actual conformation photos with someone holding the horse square. I take a lot of good pictures of my horses, but few of them I would consider conformation shots. And videos to show the horse's movement.
One of the worst things about an ad other than bad pics or not posting the price is bad grammar or incoherent descriptions. Not posting the price is not something that I often see but still it annoys me to no end! And it is even more awful if you ask via email ( I have a mental block against calling for some reason 😅 😅) and they don't respond!!!!

Good thing I have a good camera and don't have to hire a photographer, I just practice and practice and wait until good lighting so I have something to be proud of!

Reactions: Acadianartist

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know for a lot of horse sale sites, the more photos you have, the more expensive it is, but an ideal ad for me would include the following: conformation shots from both sides, rump, and chest views; some ridden photos, for example, if they were a jumper, some jumping photos, if they were an xc horse, some xc photos; video of the horse doing whatever it's being sold for; an honest descripion of the horse, clearly stating any issues, behavioural or physical, and including what rider level they are suitable for (if a ridden horse). Correct spelling and grammar are very important in my opinion, almost none of the horse ads I see have this, which makes it look like the seller wrote it quickly and didn't really care - that's how it seems to me, anyway.
Hope that helps. BTW: are you thinking of buying or selling a horse 😉?
I don't know anything about selling a horse so I didn't know about getting more expensive the more photos you post. Oh yes if they were advertised as a cutter or ranch horse I would absolutely need to see photos or video of the horse working the way that they are advertised. What is a xc horse? Yes if I was selling Castillo, I would say something like this:

16 year old ranch horse, loves working with cows and going fast, loves to work and good with inexperienced riders if going at a walk or being led. He is aggressive sometimes and hard mouthed, needs consistent respect training and groundwork to keep in hand. He picks up feet well and saddles well but tries to scare you by pinning ears when putting the saddle on but that is a bluff. (actually he does that but after I put the saddle on he P.ric.ks his ears and acts as if nothing happened) Can lead, but is lazy leading sometimes so need work to keep up, and lunge, but he doesn't like lunging and will try to attack you ( mainly scaring inexperienced riders) and need instant correction against that. Stands good for trimming hooves, catches easily in the field, halters well.

I don't know if there is a fine line between being too honest on the ad, if someone was interested in him I would tell them if they emailed or called or came to see him. BTW I am not thinking about selling Castillo at all!! Just an example. And lol there is more bad than good in Castillo's ad!! He is an amazing horse that is a real challenge to handle but a treasure anyway and no way I am selling him even for a purebred amazing QH!! ( that I can forsee) He is a one of a kind horse that entered my heart like no other way. I love my other horses but he is way more special than any of the others.

Lol I am getting too sentimental about my silly beast! ;) :) :( ;)

Yes I am hoping to sell Trueno. I am not confident to continue his training as he and I didn't have the right situations when I owned him until about 1 1/2 years ago when I started to really know a lot more about how to handle horses. He has gotten away with too many things bc I didn't know how to train him and so I don't want to mess him up even more. He needs an experienced rider that knows how to gently train green horses and ride a bucking horse Trueno will buck if he wants to. About buying a horse, well, you horse owners know how nice it is to dream about getting this and that horse,
;););) but I am not going to be buying a horse anytime soon. I might trade sometime with a cow or something like that but... not buying a horse soon that I know of. I do want to find a good stallion ( fortunately I live near to some of the best Quarter Horse breeding operation in the country that I know of :) :) ) and breed him to Luna and Ginger if my friend won't let me breed Luna and Ginger to her new QH Grulla yearling colt that she bought recently. More like she will probably let me but he will be too small and not mature enough to do the job.

Reactions: DollyandAya

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A particular peeve of mine is when people make big claims about a horse's capabilities/past and then just expect you to trust them. Oh it jumps 5 foot? Show me! It does 1-time tempis? SHOW ME! If it's showing at a level where its competition record is proof, that's grand, tell me its show name and what it's won. If you're going to make a claim, back it up, or I'll assume you're lying.
:love:(y)(y) Yes absolutely!! I hate that too. What I don't like ( which is probably just me) is when a certain horse is advertised to be by so and so and out of so and so and they don't put any pictures of dam and sire or any records of dam or sire. That may just be a me peeve but I don't want to go search up this fancy named horse to see what they looked like or did.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts