The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my blankets and sheets decided to no longer be waterproof this winter. In the fall I cleaned them with the prescribed Nikwax wash and treated them with one of the Nikwax products. Fail. I washed them again and tried Schneider's waterpoofing. Fail. I laid them out and reapplied Nikwax. Fail. Schneider's. Fail. Any salvation for these otherwise perfect blankets and sheets? Outside of sending them to a "pro".

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
The Schneider's I would just send back and ask for a new one. Their guarantee should cover replacement when the waterproofing totally fails. They asked me to take a picture of the blanket soaked through and sent me a new one.

In my opinion, once they fail there's no bringing them back. I've decided to buy slightly less expensive blankets and figure I'm going to replace them every 1.5 years, rather than the more expensive ones that fail on the same timeline anyway.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Schneider's I would just send back and ask for a new one. Their guarantee should cover replacement when the waterproofing totally fails. They asked me to take a picture of the blanket soaked through and sent me a new one.

In my opinion, once they fail there's no bringing them back. I've decided to buy slightly less expensive blankets and figure I'm going to replace them every 1.5 years, rather than the more expensive ones that fail on the same timeline anyway.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I never paid any attention to guarantees, etc, so don't know if any of these blankets would be covered, but I'll check, thanks for pointing that out to me.

I've probably invested enough to buy one rain sheet in waterproofing compounds. I've lost a few other blankets to waterproofing failure, but was hoping to find a magic fix for these otherwise excellent blankets/sheets.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I did not know the waterproofing on turnouts is temporary. What about buying cheap 'sacrificial' waterproof sheets to go over expensive blankets and played-out turnouts?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I went through that last year - my rain sheet was more a rain-soak than anything else.
Washed the blanket, let it dry and then applied this:
KIWI Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellant 10.5oz : Target

First sprayed a layer on (meticulously length-wise, making sure I covered everything), let that one dry and then added a second layer, in perpendicular stripes to the first layer.

We had REALLY heavy, cold rain and wind recently and my mare (as usual) preferred to stand in the pasture and eat grass... But she was perfectly dry under her sheet. 😁

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course I could have done a simple Google search on how to waterproof fabrics. I think my big problem is I'm not washing them correctly before treatment. They're supposed to have ALL the previous waterproofing washed out of them with a prescribed product. I am going to try seriously working that angle at the next opportunity. I have a new bottle of Nikwax Rug Waterproofing and the companion Rug Wash.

Thanks for the great responses so far!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"I did not know the waterproofing on turnouts is temporary. What about buying cheap 'sacrificial' waterproof sheets to go over expensive blankets and played-out turnouts?"

It's not so much temporary as it just wears out over time. Your idea is a good one.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have two blankets from Schneider's that are going on 5 years old. Still water proof yet. Have another turnout blanket that's 10 years old still water proof also.

Every blanket bought from Schneider's has always been water proof literally for many years.

Only use hot water to clean them and hang out to dry. Wash them at car wash on the just water cycle. Never have re water proofed either.

Also have new this year blankets from big Dee's . Heavy weights with attached neck covers.

Got a weaver blanket turnout heavy weight. Brand new and water proofing was gone after 2nd snow/rain event soaked through. Took it back for an exchange,so far so good.

·
Banned
Misty is a spirited, talkative, lovable little brat! 14 hands, Grulla, speedy, naughty, and perfect1
110 Posts
If you get another blanket, I highly suggest Tough one turnouts. I love the snug-up neck, and the one with the belly wrap. I bought 3 of these! Amazing waterproofing, and sizing is correct! We even ordered 2 sizes to big for our little mare by accident, the snug-up neck made them still fit perfect! I also like Kingston All-around. I bought one for my mare, stayed waterproof for over a year, I had to replace with a Tough 1 blanket though after it ripped. With Kingston All-around, and waterproofing stayed good, but the rip proof got weaker for me. Hope you find a solution to your issue!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you get another blanket, I highly suggest Tough one turnouts. I love the snug-up neck, and the one with the belly wrap. I bought 3 of these! Amazing waterproofing, and sizing is correct! We even ordered 2 sizes to big for our little mare by accident, the snug-up neck made them still fit perfect! I also like Kingston All-around. I bought one for my mare, stayed waterproof for over a year, I had to replace with a Tough 1 blanket though after it ripped. With Kingston All-around, and waterproofing stayed good, but the rip proof got weaker for me. Hope you find a solution to your issue!
Thanks, I didn't know anything about Tough 1 blankets. I did a search on Amazon and came up with dozens of Tough 1 blankets! If I have to buy new I'll check them out.

·
Banned
Misty is a spirited, talkative, lovable little brat! 14 hands, Grulla, speedy, naughty, and perfect1
110 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know anything about Tough 1 blankets. I did a search on Amazon and came up with dozens of Tough 1 blankets! If I have to buy new I'll check them out.
Yes! They are sold on State line tack to, which is were I like to buy all of my blankets. I am using the medium heavy weight, LOVE it! So amazing! Colors are fantastic to!

Reactions: dogpatch

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just read the labels on my new bottles of Nikwax Rug Wash and Nikwax Rug Waterproofing. First of all I've been buying the wrong product (oddly, got my first bottles from Schneider's, which were for garments). Secondly, the cleaning and application methods are TOTALLY different than the garment products! So, I'm going to completely re-do one of the Schneider rain sheets today. I'll report on the results.

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
When we got ours cleaned they sprayed water proofing on them for us. I have bought the spray myself before but it stinks when you first do it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey, I know I’m late to the party... but typically the guarantees (3 year for bucas/Rambo, 1 for amigo/rhino, 3 for weatherbeeta in USA), require that you register the warranty within a certain length of time, after purchase. They also stipulate what you wash them with.

I have never had good lucky with rewaterproofing and hate it with a vengeance... so I have gone the expensive route, find that rambos have held up beautifully. And when they don’t, it’s often a manufacturers defect, that is covered by their 1 yr manufacturers warranty :)

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
I wash my blankets by hand, outside in a big muck bucket, and hang to dry, so the waterproofing lasts a really long time. I just don't want to put horse blankets in my washing machine and we don't have horse blanket washing services here. But I think a gentle wash is probably best to avoid ruining the waterproofing. That said, I bought a used blanket and it wasn't very waterproof so I sprayed waterproofing made for tents on it. I did several coats and let them dry well in between. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've found lightweight turnouts/rain sheets are the most usual culprits and 600 denier rugs are worse than heavier gauge fabrics. The fact there's no padding at all means the lining wears the layer of waterproofing inside the outer shell, so it's probably better to buy a 50g lightweight than 0g.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts