The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm free-leasing a registered appendix QH. I'm trying to figure out what we would have to do to show at AQHA shows. My friend who does them says I'd just need to join the AQHA and get a copy of his registration papers for local shows, and I'd also have to apply for Level 1/Novice. Does that sound right? Neither the horse nor I have any AQHA points. I'm pretty sure his owner DOES have his papers, so that should be easy to get from her.

Congress is in my area, and to show at Congress, it says I'd need to complete an official showing lease form. I downloaded the form and it asks for owner's AQHA number. What would his owner have to do to be able to complete this form? I doubt she's an AQHA member, but I could offer to pay the membership fee for her. And, who knows if she ever did anything official to transfer ownership with the AQHA when she bought him... (does she have to? how difficult is it if she didn't?)

Just trying to figure out if this is something we could even do!
Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
First, the horse's registration papers need to be in the current owner's name. If she does not have all the transfer forms (or copies of the bills of sale) for every owner between the owner on the papers and herself, she will need to obtain them. AQHA can assist with this, however, I will warn you, we only had two owners between the owner on her papers and us, but it took 6 months to get all the information to AQHA and get the papers back.

The owner should join AQHA because the cost to transfer ownership is cheaper for owners.

You should go ahead and join AQHA. You will need proof of membership to show and earn points.

Finally you will need the lease form that you already have.

Just be aware, all of this will take time and $$. My daughter is a Novice Youth AQHA member and I was amazed at how much time it took to get everything set up so we could show her mare at youth shows.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Has this horse been shown before? have you shown before?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, I've shown plenty in the local hunter/jumper circuit. It seems like we'd have no problem being eligible for novice/level 1 as I've never shown at 3' or higher before (hoping to move up to it this year with this horse, if he can get his act together - he still needs more show mileage, but we've been schooling 3' at home). The horse has been showing for 2 years now (which was only 6 "away" shows for him and some schooling shows at home). I've never had the interest or opportunity to do a breed show before, but I've been offered a ride on a friend's trailer to AQHA shows with her, and I've got an AQHA registered horse, so I was thinking why not try it? But if it's too much of a hassle to be eligible, I'll probably just trash the idea. From what I can tell on the AQHA website, though, you only need this showing-lease form for Congress. If I want to do regular/smaller AQHA shows, it doesn't seem like I need to have that, eliminating the need for the owner to get bills of sale. Right?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Depends. For local shows we normally have a choice between AQHA (getting points) and just being in the class (the association hosting the show). But, you might want to call AQHA and double check the congress rules. Normally you have to qualify to show there.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If it is jumping you want to do,IDK but not all AQHA shows having jumping classes:-(.I know around here there isn't,as not enough interest.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
you will need the AQHA show lease to show any show, plus a youth or amateur membership {depending on your age:wink:}

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the info. So far, it sounds like a big pain in the butt! I've e-mailed his owner to find out if she's the owner on record. If she's not, then that will be the end of it! :p I wouldn't dream of asking her to track down bills of sale just so I can try an AQHA show!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - the owner DID have him officially transferred into her ownership, so I think we can do an AQHA show after all without any trouble :) I just have to fill out all these forms.

If anyone else sees this, here is another question -

Can anyone explain the "Rookie" division? All I could find was that it's for horses/riders with 0 points, which is what we have. I'm confused about whether we'd be novice or rookie. The novice fence heights (2'6-2'9) is what we did last year. I'm thinking Rookie is intended for true beginners, like little kids, not just people who have never done AQHA before. Is that right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.