The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse turns tight, which is nice but I think he is too worried about turning really tight and it costs us some time. What exercises can I do to help get him more past the barrel and then to turn? Maybe a bigger pocket would help? I want him to have a smooth glide around them, basically want smoother and snappier turns. Part of it is probably my fault because I have a tendency to set up too early, what can I do for myself to stop doing that? My horse is very push style I have to really push him to make sure he gets past it enough that we don't knock as well. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Hello and welcome!

First of all, can you post a video? That would be really helpful.

Yes, it is a fine balance to have a nice tight snappy barrel without losing any speed or momentum. I too have the tendency to set my horse up too soon so I will quite literally say to myself as we are running to the barrel "TWO HANDS" so that I keep two hands up until the very last moment. I tend to go to the horn too soon which then automatically starts cueing him to set up for the turn when I go to one hand. So it helps me to say/think "two hands" as I'm going.

He's not dropping his shoulder is he? If that's happening, then you need to do some re-training with the horse. If he's simply going to turn too soon or you are cueing him too soon, that's an easier fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.