The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm looking for some ideas on how to deal with something my mare does. She is generally very well-behaved, but she always wants to rush back to her stall after being in cross-ties. The set-up is such that I cross-tie her a couple spots up the aisle from her stall, facing away from the stall with the stall behind her and to her right. She is fine to stand in cross-ties as long as I need, she likes being groomed, etc.. But when I snap on the lead rope preparing to take her back, she gets all snorty and wound up. I always brace myself as I drop the cross ties and she kind of swings her hindquarters around and I just follow in an abrupt circle. She doesn't drag me exactly, but she rushes right back to that stall. I always stop and make her wait and let me walk in first, but she's always all worked up. Today I held my ground when I unsnapped the cross ties and refused to let her spin in that circle to her right - instead I made her stop and wait, then turn to the left following me. She was not happy about this. Any ideas how to make this less painful while getting it across to her that she needs to wait for my cues, not head back to her stall on her terms?

·
Registered
122 Posts
That does not sound fun. i would practice basic ground manners with her. also, do you feed her right after she is in cross ties?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That does not sound fun. i would practice basic ground manners with her. also, do you feed her right after she is in cross ties?
Sometimes she has some hay waiting for her, sometimes not, depends on the day and time. Thanks for the reply - I will definitely incorporate ground manners work!

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
You could let her go back to her stall (in the way you have been doing,) and instead of going back into the stall, take her PAST the stall and right out to do a bit of lunging . Or , just go past the stall, turn around, go past the stall, turn around, go past the stall. etc.
the point is, her rushing the turn like that is NOT acceptable, and should be stopped whether it makes her happy or not.
also, try cross tying her so she can see her stall, and do the walk past thing, too. She should never dictate when she gets to go in her stall.

you should work on better ground handling manners overall, and in particular with going through a gateway/doorway. It can be very dangerous if not well controlled. I remember the mare I had leased, years ago, rushing through a gateway and pinning me against a post. I thought my ribcage was going to burst.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I am strict about stable manners because horses are big animals and you can get hurt by horses rushing in the barn or through doorways. Ground manners are very important and time should be spent on this.
If this was my horse I would work on teaching her the word "whoa" that word means one thing only, a complete stop with all feet on the ground, when I am sure she understands, I would put a chain lead on her and when I unhook the cross ties the horse would have to stand until I am ready to move her, I would insist on compliance and be consistent in this, Then when I am ready to move we would walk down the aisle and always stop at the stall door until I say it's ok to go into the stall.
It doesn't take long al all for the horses to catch on and behave and you can even do this without a halter on if you choose.
I have had so many horses come to me and be pushy and disrespectful and this is always how I handle it and it works well for me. The horses after they understand are more relaxed because they know the rules, just makes it easier for everybody, horses and humans.
Right now our horses come in and out of the barn without halters on and when I am untacking after a ride they stand not tied at all and are good with that, they do learn the system and are comfortable with it.
Even the worst offenders will eventually walk down the barn aisle, no halter and will stop when I say whoa, they always get a nice scratch and they are happy to stand for this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am strict about stable manners because horses are big animals and you can get hurt by horses rushing in the barn or through doorways. Ground manners are very important and time should be spent on this.
If this was my horse I would work on teaching her the word "whoa" that word means one thing only, a complete stop with all feet on the ground, when I am sure she understands, I would put a chain lead on her and when I unhook the cross ties the horse would have to stand until I am ready to move her, I would insist on compliance and be consistent in this, Then when I am ready to move we would walk down the aisle and always stop at the stall door until I say it's ok to go into the stall.
It doesn't take long al all for the horses to catch on and behave and you can even do this without a halter on if you choose.
I have had so many horses come to me and be pushy and disrespectful and this is always how I handle it and it works well for me. The horses after they understand are more relaxed because they know the rules, just makes it easier for everybody, horses and humans.
Right now our horses come in and out of the barn without halters on and when I am untacking after a ride they stand not tied at all and are good with that, they do learn the system and are comfortable with it.
Even the worst offenders will eventually walk down the barn aisle, no halter and will stop when I say whoa, they always get a nice scratch and they are happy to stand for this.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could let her go back to her stall (in the way you have been doing,) and instead of going back into the stall, take her PAST the stall and right out to do a bit of lunging . Or , just go past the stall, turn around, go past the stall, turn around, go past the stall. etc.
the point is, her rushing the turn like that is NOT acceptable, and should be stopped whether it makes her happy or not.
also, try cross tying her so she can see her stall, and do the walk past thing, too. She should never dictate when she gets to go in her stall.

you should work on better ground handling manners overall, and in particular with going through a gateway/doorway. It can be very dangerous if not well controlled. I remember the mare I had leased, years ago, rushing through a gateway and pinning me against a post. I thought my ribcage was going to burst.
Thanks very much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts