The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing a lot of people laying down there horses, and I WANNA DO IT! lol
Does anyone know how to teach a horse to do it?

Romeo knows how to bow, so that might help?
(Dogs are easier to teach down than a horse I am guessing!) lol!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Why don't you just wait until he lays down for a nap and go sit with him.
It will feel the same and not so much work.

Tell the truth now,you have been watching reruns of "The Horse Whisper",right.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I have never seen the horse whisperer! lol

And I would just go sit with him in the field, but in the 2 years I have had him, I have never never ever seen him lay down... :(

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
one way i have heard that works ok [havent done it yet !] that is with out ropes is to work them [get them sweat is best so they want to roll] & then walk them in the sand or where they like to roll & wait for them to get down & them praise them. you will have to put it with a signal too of course.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^I've actually tried that. He doesn't lay down to roll until after everyone has left the stables.
I can tell when he rolls, but he NEVER does it when people are around.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
thats odd !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Little tricks that i have done to lay my horses down is by picking up one of the front hooves lift it all the way to the belly then get a treat and set it in front of him he will have to reach for that he will start to crouch as he get close to the ground let his leg go and he will lay down. with time u start to do signs so he knows what you mean and u can just lay and hang out with him!!! good luck!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^Hmm, I might try that!!

Does anyone know how to do it with ropes? There are a few people on here that have posted videos of it, but I don't know where/how to tie the ropes or anything. =/

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
This is how I do it. The rope is double half hitched around the saddlehorn. I also pull the leg up as high as I can. It keeps the horse safer and gets them down quicker.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I will only teach this to a horse that understands how to pick up its feet and that also knows how to release to pressure on the bit. I begin by placing leg protection on the horse and placing the rope on the pastern of the leg next to me. I then ask the horse to give his foot, hold it up with the rope and ask the horse to lean back. As soon as he leans back I release, praise and let him put his foot down.

You ask the horse to continue rocking back farther and farther until the knee touches the ground, always allowing the horse to come right back up. You will want to keep the nose pointed toward the shoulder away from you, not toward you as he will lay down the wrong direction and not between his legs as he will not be able to lay down as easily. When they are comfortable with that I start asking them to keep the knee on the ground a little longer before asking them to get up. It is here you start teaching the cue to get up so the horse will stay down until you give the cue to get up.

When the horse is leaving the knee on the ground I will change the rope. I will run it under the belly to the opposite side, over the back and back to my hand. This will help keep the foot up if the horse resists the next steps. With the horses knee on the ground you will take his nose to the opposite side that you are standing on and ask the horse to rock back more. He should slowly come down on his shoulder and then lay down. Let him up as soon as he wants.
If you have not already, start using your cue to lay down. Lay him down a couple times letting him get up, then you will ask him to stay down by keeping his head bent to his side. Increase the amount of time he stays down and be sure you are giving a cue to get up. When your horse learns the cue to lay down he will do it in a natural way, so start asking with the cue first and if he does not lay down, do it manually. Rub him and get him comfortable with you being around him while he is down. Don't scare him. As soon as he learns he won't get hurt, he will lay down with ease.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you^^.
I haven't started yet, I don't want to make him lay down on the hard/frozen/cold ground, But I would like to start getting him use to the rope and everything around his legs.

How do you tie the ropes around the legs?
Does anyone have pictures to post so that I can see what you are talking about? I am a visual learner! lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you^^.
I haven't started yet, I don't want to make him lay down on the hard/frozen/cold ground, But I would like to start getting him use to the rope and everything around his legs.

How do you tie the ropes around the legs?
Does anyone have pictures to post so that I can see what you are talking about? I am a visual learner! lol
I have an article on my website with some pictures if you like. I like to use the lead ropes made for rope halters that have no hardware, but have an eyelet on one end. I just put the end through the eyelet and put the loop on the pastern. I put leg protection on as well to avoid any possibility of burns. If you are using a regular rope I just loop it round the pastern and hold both ends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.