The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I use this one, because that's what I was taught, and I do it automatically. It's good feature is that you can "braid" all the rope you want, so you don't have loose ends that can be stepped on.

I think that any quick-release type of knot is good :)
How do u tie that? Could u possibly put instructions?

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you youtube how to do a quick release knot or tying your horse or something along them lines there are videos showing you how to do it :)

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
The quick release knot as posted above is a super easy one to tie, once you learn it, you can do it in your sleep.

Reactions: flytobecat

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
It's basically a slip knot within a slip knot continued on down. Super easy to do once you get it. It's the traditional way to tie and what I would advice you to do if you're unsure. Anything that will hold firmly but become undone quickly is ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We are working on "ground tying" and going well. We just drop the lead rope and if they move, move them back, back, then stand. We started in their paddock and now have moved out to the open. This is great since my horse likes to chew his lead rope when tied - not to escape just bored.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
The only problem I've ever come across with most quick release knots (including the one pictured above) is that they constrict enough that they aren't so "quick" to release if a horse's full body weight is pulling on it. For that reason, I never go anywhere or tie anything without a sharp knife in my pocket.

Anyway, I usually tie hard with a bowline knot to a single solid post. I don't believe in tying with breakable items like twine or breakaway halters. A bowline is a super simple knot that will never come untied on it's own but is easy to undo, regardless of how tight it gets pulled.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I use the quick release knot, but when a horse does throw its entire weight back on it, it can be hard to release. Some i just loop the rope around a cross bar ( not the safest) in kind of a lazy 8

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I tie the same as Smrobs. A bowline sometimes I won't pull the tail all the through to make it a slip knot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Smrobs, you just taught me something. I've always used the quick release, but you can't hardly get it undone if it's tightened up and there is weight on it.
I'll have to try using this knot.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I used to tie a quick release knot but now I have this tie thing that you just thread the lead rope through and it lets it slide out if the horse pulls back hard. It's good for me because most places I tie aren't solid enough.

If I'm just in an arena or round yard I just wrap the rope around a metal bar once, again, it won't hold, but I don't really want it to and my horse is pretty good. With a young or untrained horse I'm a lot more selective and careful about what I tie to.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I use a quick release as well, except for one of my mini donks that is too smart for his own good. He will look at it & figure out which end of the rope to pull. I have had to resort to a trailer tie with a quick release snap.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I use a quick release as well, except for one of my mini donks that is too smart for his own good. He will look at it & figure out which end of the rope to pull. I have had to resort to a trailer tie with a quick release snap.

I know your pain. My 2 year old gelding knows how to untie himself from a quick release knot. I use a trailer tie, or just hard tie with a knot and keep a knife handy just in case. I'm going to try smrobs knot!

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I have a quick release snap on all my leadropes. I make my leadropes myself because I can never find ones to buy with the quick release snap on them. I feel at least if I cannot undo the quick release knot, and it's safe for me to do so, I can flip the quick release snap and free my horse instantly. I do, always make sure I have a sharp knife handy.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
We have one horse that is too smart for his own good. He will untie quick release knots. With the ring that let's the rope slide through if the horse pulls back, he will keep pulling not hard but just enough until the rope is free.

The better solution is the quick release snap. The best would be to teach the horse to ground tie.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.