The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you keep your chickens and horses in the same field? We're looking at getting a 1.25 acre place and are trying to figure out where to put the chickens. The back 1/3 acre will be fenced with horse fence/no climb, and I was toying with the idea of having my husband build a chicken house back there and just let the horses (one or two) and chickens share the space.

Otherwise the chickens (4 now, eventually 8) will be relegated to a much smaller space once my husband gets around to building a fenced in enclosure just for them.

Any thoughts/experiences with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My chickens play around with the horse poop all the time!.
The only problem you would have is, the horses getting to the chicken feed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Chickens and horses are definitely fine! :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thought on the chicken feed - maybe some of the movable horse panels surrounding the chickens' house could do the trick - plus that would take care of worrying about the horse doing damage to/getting hurt on the chickens' house.

I love my chickens, but we only have four right now - Buff Orpington, Americana, Road Island Red, and New Hampshire Red.

Once we close on our new place I want to get four more for starters - a White Leghorn and Barred Rock for certain if I can get them, and I'll let the kiddos choose the other two.

My first two chickens ever were a Barred Rock and a White Leghorn. They were the best layers :). Leghorns are usually spazzes, but we handled Trigger so much as a chick that she was extra friendly, and always ready for a handout :lol:.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i looooooovvvvveeee RI Reds. i had a rooster name Ketchup who was one and he would sleep on jaspers back. and he never attacked anyone. i had a leghorn roostie and he was mean.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I really want to do that. Are nieghbours down the road keeps a hen with there sheep works really well. I would just have a little shelter wear the chickens could get in and the horses cant u can also keep the food in there=).

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I don't think they hate each other but Sissy the Percheron in my "barn" on here loves to chase them, ears forward, nudging them and snorting at them. Scares the little things but it doesn't look like she wants to hurt them at all. Missy a horse I worked with a couple years ago I had boarded at a place that had free roaming chickens and she didn't like them at all. She'd pin her ears, make a rumbling noise and run after them with her head to the ground snapping at their butts.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I kept my chickens and turkeys in the pastures with my horses. For the chickens, we would just throw some horse feed on the ground because we dont have pelleted, and they would pick out what they liked and the horses could eat it, too. They also had chicken feed in their coop for them to eat. The horses werent bothered by them, even when they ran under their feet.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Although we only have 3 ducks at the moment, we had upwards of 18 chickens when I had my place in PA. They got along fine with my horses and we had the added benefit of them breaking up the manure in search of undigested feed and bugs.

The only problem we had is that they would scratch around the garden looking for bugs. The bug hunt was good but we kept having to clean up the mulch they would spread around.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
We have ducks, guinnea-fowl, and chickens in our yard and when I let the horses out (a lot) they're just fine. Never even gave the fowl a second glance.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I keep mine with the horse/horses. Its funny! I didn't know so many did that! We actually have a carport that had wooden sides as a run in shelter for our horses(live in pasture). We have the coop in their! lol, its pouring here, and should be for at least the next four days (bye-bye riding), but I will try to get a pic for you! oh, and yes, about the chicken food, they will eat it. I had a pony mare who would try sneacky ways to get it all the time! lol

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I keep my chickens and horses separate but thats mainly because my chickens can get into the dog area if I let them out of the run. Dog and chickens definitely don't get along, at least mine don't.
I had a rooster that hung out with them but something got him a few years ago.
A friend keeps her chickens in with the horses. Just turned a stall into a hen house for laying eggs. The rest of the time they are out scratching through the horse poo looking for fly eggs. They really help on that front. She tried some guinea's but they just peck at the manure, don't actually scratch at it and dig the fly larva out. Guinea's are better at catching live bugs.
I love Buff Orpingtons, they are very friendly calm chickens but their eggs are rather small. If you're wanting lots of large to jumbo brown eggs I suggest Production Reds. I've had the RI and they give good sized eggs but not as many as the productions. I think they are a cross between a RI red and the New Hampshire red

ETA- Just wanted to add that old plastic barrels laid on their side can make a nice hen laying spot until you get a coop built. I have a friend who uses them stacked up and bound together as his only chicken shelter inside a fenced area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.