The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We haven't had much luck with foals at our little horse farm....20 years ago my parents had to put down a Thoroughbred foal that came out with the legs bending the wrong way, last year my mini delivered a dead foal who had had water on his brain, and this year, I'm just praying to God everything is okay. We bred our mini mare again....the aforementioned one.....to our same stallion; a 10hh Welsh pony. She's due in June/July ish and I'm trying to read up on horse training, as this will be the first foal I'll be raising....she is NOT going to drop this one. However, what I'm finding about it all relates to riding horses, not miniatures. So my question is, what do you train a mini foal, and how do you go about training it? Can anyone provide me with that info, along with what age to train them these things? Thanks so much.

Btw, does join-up work with minis?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Most of the people around here wean between 3-5 months, and rarely stay on for more than 6 months. The mare's milk loses the majority of its nutrition after 3 months, so there really isn't a point to keeping them on. By that age the foal should be getting its own ration of grain/hay and it will probably rarely nurse anymore.

As far as the training, I agree with what everyone else has said. The halter can go on within a few days of birth.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Our foals get the same thing all our other horses get: A ration(depending on size, weight, etc) of 10% Sweet Feed and as much good quality hay as they can eat. They do just fine one it, and I'm sure your foal will do fine on the Grow n Win.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.