The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my horse is no where ready to be bred yet (We are getting her tested to see if the stud colt did get to her or not) I have to call the vet again so that she can get out and test Demi.
But I found this stallion a long time ago and have always wanted a foal by hime. I don't want anyone biting out my throat for dreaming of breeding my mare to this stud.
All I am wondering is what everyone thinks the cross would be. Good/bad/ok
I know Demi shouldn't be bred (That is why I am not going to ... atleast for a long time..) But what does everyone think?
I love this stallion and I think the cross would be pretty good.
Here is Scenic Zipaloot
Emerald Acres - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site
Here is my mare Demi

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't really like him. He has a pretty color but the fact that they have zero conformation pics(that I saw, anyway) and his stud fee is only $350, I would say no, don't breed to him. They look like krazy kolor breeders and if you are going to breed, please breed to the best you can get. He also hasn't done anything yet, and he's already 9 years old. That to me screams no.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with the poster above. Please do breed to something very nice if you're going to bring another horse in the world. Other than nice coloring, they do not show pictures of him doing anything under saddle or conformation shots. I would say if you want a baby so badly, go to your local auction and rescue one...seems like lots end up there nowadays.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some more pics of him.
I don't know if I will ever breed my mare, but I just thought it would be a pretty WP baby.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
They have plenty of WP babies at the auction. I saw a registered buckskin paint 2yo that looked like it had pretty good confo go for $100. Much less than a breeding fee. ;)

Plus, you never know what you'll get.. something could go terribly wrong and you can end up with a totally unusable baby. ;)

Has your mare been HYPP tested by you?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Holy crap he has a weak hind end. I do not like his HQ in the slightest bit. He is also very fine boned and has a thick throatlatch. Upright shoulder, upright pasterns. His hocks are much higher than his knees. I really don't like him at all for a breeding animal. He has a pretty color, that's about it.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
I like the stallion better than the previous posters; in the website photos he has huntery/dressagy movement. I will agree that he's lighter bodied, particularly in the hq than most quarter horses. In fact, the only thing that really looks QH-y about him is that thick throatlatch. Looks more like an appendix QH. Thinking this through as I type; I like him as an individual, not as breeding stock. I think they kept him intact primarily for his color, which is spectacular, but not enough reason to keep him a stud.

However, I think we're approaching this from the wrong end - why do you want to breed your mare? And what are her qualities or performance record that makes her a good broodmare prospect?

If the real answers to those questions are you want to raise a foal and what makes her a broodmare prospect is she's the mare you have, please don't breed her.

You can buy a good quality weanling or yearling for less than you'd put into getting a foal on the ground out of your mare. And you'd be dealing with a known quality.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
He would make a wonderful gelding and if he was sorrel that's what he would be.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
kevinshorses, I think I will have to save that, make it a quote, and use it when I see people wanting to breed to the "preeeeettttyyy colllllllofulll stud-y over der"! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.