The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what else to post about and this seems a good way to start. So, here goes nothing. I'm Tyson. I'm 17 and I live in Texas. I got my start in riding when I was six or seven. At the time, I was very interested in English riding, so that's what I did. Oddly enough, my mom comes from a West Texas ranch family. Both of my uncles on that side were involved in rodeo and one of them even owns a rodeo arena where he hosts barrel racing competitions every Thursday night. Needless to say, I was the odd duck out. I wanted to get involved in barrel racing, but it wasn't an accessible option for me in the area that I live. Unfortunately, after three years of riding, I was forced to give it up due to financial problems. I never stopped loving horses though. Recently, many years later, I was reintroduced to riding thanks to my mother's very generous boyfriend and his support as a coach, sponsor, and manager of a sort. I've now had my dream of barrel racing realized. My muscles were screaming after that first day back in the saddle, but John, my mother's boyfriend, says that I haven't lost my touch, which is nice to hear. Barrel racing isn't a viable, long term competitive interest for me considering my gender, even though I'm smaller than most girls, but I don't intend to ever give it up. I've begun learning roping and reining so I hope that I'll be able to compete long term, perhaps even professionally. I hope, someday, to either go to vet school to specialize in large animals (horses especially) or begin a career as a trainer and have a boarding business after college. Even if I can't compete in barrel racing professionally, I'd enjoy coaching young riders, like myself, in it. Being with animals as intelligent as horses is truly a rewarding experience. I've never connected more with any other species of animal. I, of course, miss English riding and hope to reacquaint myself with it someday, but for now I can be content, more than content even, just having the opportunity to spend time with these beautiful creatures. :runninghorse2:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts