Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a new video of me riding Lacey. :D

Here's the link to the thread with another video of us from the summer so you can compare: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-pon-eh-me-33682/

She wasn't really doing her cute little jog thingy in this for more than a few seconds, there was construction going on down the street that was pretty darn exciting. Haha

We didn't do any cantering because the ground was too slippery so this is kinda a lame walking and trotting video but I figured, better than nothing.

Make sure to turn down your volume too because it was really windy that day so there's a lot of wind noise.

Also, in the last thirty seconds or so, Lacey does her weird nickering/tail flicking thing as I dismount, I'd be interested to hear people's takes on that. Someone suggested that it was because she's happy to see me? See for yourself! =)

And, her backing up (near the end), how can I get her to back up with less resistance? I've tried doing tons of backing with her (at least 2-3 times each time I ride, so about twice a week) and it gets me no where. Help?

Critique away! And, notice, in the first video we were only neck reining at the walk and look who's neck reining at the trot now too! =D

And I'm being a bad kid and not wearing my helmet. :shock: I forgot that I was going to ride that day and...well, there is a boy I'm trying to impress at school so I didn't want to take the chance of taking my hair down and possibly not being able to put it up cute-ly again. Horrible reasoning I know. >.<

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? I know it's long and hard... =(

·
Registered
166 Posts
u realy need to collect her more, and work on speed. she is sticking her neck out like a qh, you need to get arch to her neck. you should most definatly bit her in a round pen or an arena, you can use a circingle or a western saddle as long as it has the ring on the side. definatley work more on flexion. your downward transition from the jog to the trot is smooth though :) thats about as much as i realy know to tell you cuz i ride hunt seat but i have seen a little bit of training done on western arabian horses here is a link for you :) by the way is she registered?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think you look good. Make sure when you ride your not leaning. Use you legs as cues and keep your body centered. She looks like she was backing fairly light she just wasn't collected. If you really want her collected just ask for her to back and don't release the pressure untill she breaks at the poll. Remember make the wrong thing easy and the right thing hard.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with kevinshorses.. All the way..

I don't want to sound completely ridiculous..but.... Is that dirt green in that western arabian show video? ... Haha, oh my I feel like a nutbar, but I had to ask..

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ariat164- She's not a fan of arching her neck like Arabs are "supposed" to do. Even when we were riding english and she was collected she never had an arch in her neck. =) I'm not sure what you mean by "bit her in a round pen or arena"...
She isn't registered. Her parents were but her previous owner/breeder didn't take the time to register her when she was young and now it'd be super expensive.
Haha, I wish Lacey looked as good as those horses in you video! I'm just pleased that she's not rearing or throwing fits anymore. Haha

Kevin-Thanks! How do I encourage her to break at the poll? And how can I tell when she is from the saddle? I can get her to do it "right" on the ground but in the saddle she sticks her head way up and speed backs up like you saw for as long as it takes until I release... Maybe I'm not watching her closely enough... She does back up well, I guess that's one thing all the backing up has taught her! Haha
Did you notice that I was leaning to the left or right? I discovered the other day that I always seem to lean to the right when I'm walking...maybe I'm doing it in the saddle too.

Painted Hotrod- Yeah, the dirt or whatever that stuff is, is green. Arab show people are crazy. Just kidding. =P

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your horse is beautiful. I had an arab once that acted just like a quarter horse. He was so lazy. The only way you could tell if he was an Arab would be when he was standing and he was parked out. When backing her up in the saddle, you said that she throws her head up. Try putting a tie down on her and see if you can break her of throwing her head.

I don't know why she would be doing that with her tail. Maybe its the way you are dismounting? Does it only happen when you get off or does she do it when you are mounting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.