The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Kainne, my 13 y/o grade TB gelding I plan to do lower level dressage with..I'd like to know what people think of him for that and just overall, out of curiosity..as well as his progress with his condition and I suppose if anything workable needs work, haha

This is a picture I previously posted for a conformation critique when he was still underweight (he was a neglect case):

And here he is now:

Thanks for any and all input :D I hope the pictures are okay. I can try to get more (if weather permits) if needed upon request.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a ton =) I have been able to ride him tons more now..I'm still trying to get things to work out with my trainer, haha, there's been about seven+ lessons planned that had to be cancelled mostly due to his many hoof issues that are hopefully solved now..it's been awful!
But hopefully all will be well now.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much! :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
The only thing I really noticed was that he is toes out in the front, but over all great job with getting him back up to weight he is very nice looking!!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys! =)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Amazing job in conditioning him he looks a million times better :)

As for a critique, he is very upright in the shoulder and pasterns, so I would say he's going to have a bit of a 'sewing machine' trot. There are exceptions though, but most horses built so upright generally have very short choppy steps. Neck is set a little low for my liking but put some good correct dressage work into him and it will come up fairly nicely with better topline. He's also a little too strung out, his hind legs are set quite far back from his body, which may make life a little tricky for you when you start asking for collection.

Overall, nice horse, he shouldn't have a problem with low level dressage. Pony club dressage you could easily do very well on him in, but official dressage I can't imagine seeing him placing highly.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the critique! =)
If it helps I do have a video of him lunging..I almost forgot about that. It was a slightly lazier day for him..and I swear his trot is different all the time. Usually it is on the choppier side, then some days it's kind of slow and kind of smooth, then some days when he decides to make me happy it's big and pretty..haha
Best to watch muted, all there is to listen to is the wind and me shouting cues at him :lol:

Here is what I have:

·
Registered
172 Posts
He is GORGEOUS his canter looks really nice. He has a really short choppy stride but other than that you are lucky to own him and GREAT job getting him looking better 110% change in his weight and everything!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much! =) He's a truly awesome guy, I definitely always feel lucky to have him around

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In the lunging video, I would have to suggest tying your stirrups up or even sliding them off the stirrup bar.. everytime he takes a stride it just cracks him in the side. I'm not sure of your saddle so maybe he feels very little impact but it probably isn't good for your saddle either. Just a thought.

What a great job you've done on him though, and what a beautiful horse. You must be very proud!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's true, it totally didn't occur to me that I could do that, haha..I'll definitely try to find something to tie them with in the future! Thanks =)

And thank you again for the compliments! I definitely am extremely proud of him :D

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Yep you'd easily be able to do lower level dressage on him. He doesn't have the best hocks in the world so he might struggle with collection, but for lower level work he'd be fine.

Do you ever lunge him in a bridle? I would put a bridle on him, run the lunge rein through the bit and clip it onto the girth buckle. And attach a side rein fairly loosely to the outside. This will allow you to drive him into a contact and get inside flexion. The work will improve from this. He is not being sent forward in the video so I really do think you need to put him in a bridle, get a lunge whip behind him and choof him along a little.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got back from finally having a lesson and my trainer was telling me about doing just that, so I'll be working on that and probably post a new video when he progresses with that.
Thanks =)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.