Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's me again, guys.

So here's Nick, our rescue. We got him in August and now it's December. Ignoring everything else, I'd like to ask what you thought of how his top line is coming along.

We've just been feeding him - haven't been working him.

Do you think it's gotten better at all or is it hard to tell? The lighting is bad, I know.

What are ways to build it up? Does he need to be worked to gain muscle or no?

He's our first rescue so we're new to having an underweight horse.

So here we go.

August

October

December
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1535618_10202548265730873_110621367_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
He has come a long way. Working (assuming he is sound and ready for it) will obviously improve his topline more but... it looks to have improved a lot already with just food. Great job! He is a lovely boy.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Some simple in hand exercises to build muscle (yes, he needs to be worked to build it) are backing, walk/ trot transitions and walking up many hills!

Also getting him to flex his back muscles by tickling him under his belly is very helpful. I do this with my guy in 30s increments while grooming and it works wonders.

He's looking good!

Reactions: Foxtail Ranch

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Looking much better!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Food will fill in where famish has taken, but only work will build up what wasn't there before. He, like all horses, will need to be worked to build a working topline that will be useful for riding and carrying himself properly. You can start out by lunging, and riding, if he is broke.

Reactions: steeldustgurl

·
Registered
56 Posts
What a nice animal, he is looking much better. I would definitely start out with some light ground work if he is up to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.