The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't remember! Are you having trouble finding the rhythm?

·
Registered
8 Posts
One lesson, but it wasn't pretty! There's a little thing I used to keep the diagonals straight--up with the outside--repeated about a million times. So when the horse's shoulder on the outside of the ring is up, you should be up. It helps if you ride a horse that has a bad, rough trot! You'll want to get the hang of it before you shake your teeth loose.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That was a looooong time ago - but I got the concept down in one lesson, could post pretty well in probably 4 lessons. Was good to go with diagonals and such in 2 months (8 lessons)? Something along those lines...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was 6 when I started riding so I don't remember. But it depends. The beginners at my barn who are little (like 6 or 7) take longer to learn just because they are smaller so they have less muscle and muscle memory ability hasn't developed yet (that sounds weird but it's the only way I could think to word it). But older beginners (like 13ish) tend to pick it up quicker because they have more muslce and by that point their muscle memory is more responsive.
I'm not sure if that makes any sense....sorry

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Lol, it took me about 3 lessons, then I knew how to, but wasnt very good. So over all, probably about 6 - 7 lessons :)

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
A couple lessons.

My older child's been working on it for a couple months now and she's doing quite well. My lil one... uh, well she looks like a pastel jumping bean that's hopping away on top of the horse. She's 6 and I think the entire concept of "posting" went way over her head, she's just a bouncin up and down with no rhythm or reason.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was ten when I started riding. It took me a few lessons, maybe 3-6. I knew how to do it from reading so many horse books, so all I had to do was get an actual feel for it with instruction.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
To get the whole rhythm/balance thing down about 2 lessons.
To actually post well, with proper posture, correct diagonals 100% of the time, steady leg, steady hands, looking up where I want to go about 4 months.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm asking because I was watching Extreme Home Make over the other week... They were in Boston and for some reason felt it necessary to have a scene where Ty Pennington rode down the street on a horse yelling "the British are coming!" He was bouncing 3 in. off the saddle with every stride and I couldn't help thinking... It took me about a half an hour to learn how to post. Not very well of course, but just 30 minutes of instruction could have saved that poor horse's back. **** Hollywood...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm asking because I was watching Extreme Home Make over the other week... They were in Boston and for some reason felt it necessary to have a scene where Ty Pennington rode down the street on a horse yelling "the British are coming!" He was bouncing 3 in. off the saddle with every stride and I couldn't help thinking... It took me about a half an hour to learn how to post. Not very well of course, but just 30 minutes of instruction could have saved that poor horse's back. **** Hollywood...
I saw that...it made me cring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.