The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm starting to dive into the hunt seat equitation world. I just wanted to see what tack items you all use/would recommend? Also what tack brands, or what kinds of boots (if any) you use to school and show your horse. And of course any tips would help!
Thank you! :runninghorse2:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Will you be doing breed shows, open/local shows or USEF rated shows? It's mostly the same across the board but does vary somewhat.

For yourself:
- tan breeches
- black tall boots
- white show shirt
- navy or black coat
- black helmet

For your horse:
- an english jumping saddle (Pessoa's are great and very easy to find at consignment shops so you don't have to spend a ton, you'll ideally want all brown tack)
- a shaped white fleece pad
- preferably a leather girth that matches the saddle although you see Professional's Choice girths a lot a well
- a regular, cavesson noseband, bridle that matches the rest of the tack
- an appropriate, legal bit (most people show equitation in a pelham but you can always use a snaffle of some sort instead)
- a standing martingale for over fences classes (not entirely necessary depending on the horse but it has become part of the "uniform")
- in equitation you can use boots, black or brown leather or plastic open-front boots are the most popular (Equifit, Veredus, Pessoa, and Eskadron all make good ones), fleece-lined boots are totally out of fashion now so I'd avoid them, alternatively you can use polos (white if your horse has great knees because it makes their front legs really stand out, or black/navy to be more conservative)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Check your organizing body's rule book to see what is legal, beyond that it's what is 'in' currently. Trends change constantly. Somethings like standing martingales are very much in, where as a flat bridle or black tack is not despite being 100% legal. I haven't competed in rated hunters in several years so I can't share my tack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.